Author Topic: Enterprise Guide to Windows Server 8 - Images - Part I  (Read 1656 times)

Online javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
Enterprise Guide to Windows Server 8 - Images - Part I
« on: February 08, 2012, 07:47:08 AM »
Windows 8: Under the hood

Your step-by-step guide to configuring Windows Server 8 - Part I - Images

At installation, administrators can choose whether to install the full server UI or just the Server Core - a GUI-less server installation.

Once the installation type is chosen, the process moves along quickly without the need to make any further choices.

The first time, start up goes through a couple of automated restarts as it prepares hardware and other settings.

After about 15 minutes, Windows Server 8 is up and running and the desktop is up, with the Server Manager automatically started.

The Server Manager is the hub of Windows Server operations management. It's a central point of access for every day administrative tasks.

Powershell is front and centre, ready for use with its new expanded capability. The number of cmdlets increased tenfold to 2300, effectively replacing other tools such as VBScript, Command Shell and netsh.

Adding new servers via Server Manager is reasonably straightforward.

Windows Explorer gets the Ribbon treatment as the Windows Server 8 GUI gets a facelift so that it matches its client counterpart.

The Control Panel retains most of the same applets as its predecessors.

With everything closed, the Windows Server 8 Desktop looks a lot like previous versions of Windows. But the Start Button has a new function, launching you into the familiar tiled Metro interface, with its large buttons.

Adding roles to your server is wizard-driven with a simple point and click system.

If you add a server role that has other prerequisites, you are prompted to activate the other services, making it easy to correctly add the services and roles you need.

If you run IIS 7, there's an IIS 6 compatibility mode for legacy applications.

Where a service activates required services on other servers, those servers can be automatically restarted if required.

The Server Manager provides a clear snapshot of what's happening in your server environment.

Within Server Manager, most of the actions a system administrator needs to carry out are either a click or right-click away.

source:itnews
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 07:55:12 AM by javajolt »