Author Topic: Apple announces Mac OS 10.8 due to be released this Summer!  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Samtastic

• I do Windows, Mac, iOS and Video Games
    • Wordpress Sam's Site
Apple announces Mac OS 10.8 due to be released this Summer!
« on: February 16, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »
You can check out Apple next Major Mac OS at the following link:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain-lion/

It is going to be called Mac OS 10.8 Mountian Lion!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 05:17:04 PM by Sam »
Sam
Windows News & Info Super Moderrator
Video game Reporter
Youtube.co.uk/Samlaptop950 (Electronic Games High Scores and Gameplay,)
Oddworld and other video games walkthroughs, Speedruns and Tool Assisted Runs)
Twitch.tv/Samtastic95 (Speedruns and playthroughs)

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
Apple unveils OS X 10.8 'Mountain Lion' to developers
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 06:19:23 PM »
Seven short months following the release of Mac OS X 10.7 ‘Lion,’ Apple is today unveiling the next generation Mac OS X to developers - 10.8 ‘Mountain Lion.’

I’ve only had a brief look at the early release but I can tell you that there’s a lot of cool stuff in it, and a lot of the best features are ones that have been ported over from iOS 5:

Name change

Apple has confirmed that from 10.8 onwards the ‘mac’ name il be dropped and the OS will be called ‘OS X 10.8.’ Also, according to Apple, the preferred name for the release is ‘OS X Mountain Lion’

Basically replaced iChat, brings with it iMessage integration into the OS.

Support for attachments up to 100MB, as well as iChat supported services such as AIM, Yahoo, Google Talk and Jabber.

There’s a public beta version of messages available for Lion users over on the Apple website. More details here.

iCloud
Full iCloud integration, including support for Finder so you can find files stored in the cloud.

Reminders

iOS 5 users will recognize this new feature. Share reminders between your Mac and iOS devices. Also share them via email or Message with others.

Note

Another iOS 5 feature that makes it into Mac. Again, full sync support and the ability to share via email or Message.

Notification Center

Again, bringing cool features from iOS into Mac OS X. Push notifications remind you of emails, appointments and reminders.

Twitter

Get to Twitter without needing to install an app.

Game Center

Finally Apple acknowledges gaming and integrates the iOS Game Center into the Mac OS so you can keep track of your scores (and those of your friends) when you play a Geme Center enabled App Store game.

Gatekeeper

Antivirus technology comes to Mac OS X in the form of Gatekeeper. Not much information of this right now, other han it seems to involve Mac App Store devs signing code and users having granular control over what’s installed, but it’s certainly a step in the right direction.

First impressions - Mountain Lion is to Lion what Snow Leopard was to Leopard. It’s an evolutionary step forward, rather than a revolutionary leap. However, it seems that Apple is learning a lot from iOS and has been busy integrating these features into OS X. This makes it a value-add for those who own both iOS and OS X hardware because the data on your iPhone or iPad is no longer confined to your mobile device. This is Apple’s insurance policy against the Mac becoming a victim of the post-PC world that iOS devices help to create.

Want to get your hands on this code? Well, if you are a registered developer with Apple you can grab it today, otherwise you’re going to have to wait until the summer when it’s expected to be released to the public.

No word on pricing, but I’d expect it to be priced along the same lines as ‘Lion’ … $29 for installation on up to 5 systems.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 08:45:35 PM by javajolt »

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:57:14 PM »

Offline Samtastic

• I do Windows, Mac, iOS and Video Games
    • Wordpress Sam's Site
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 12:38:52 PM »
Apple have confirmed since yesterday that OS X Mountain Lion will be released today from the Mac App Store. Those of you who have bought new Macs, you'll be updated to Mountain Lion for free using Apple's up to date program. I will be upgrading my Mac as soon as I see it come up on the App Store. It's only £13.99 and $19.99!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:21:14 PM by Sam »
Sam
Windows News & Info Super Moderrator
Video game Reporter
Youtube.co.uk/Samlaptop950 (Electronic Games High Scores and Gameplay,)
Oddworld and other video games walkthroughs, Speedruns and Tool Assisted Runs)
Twitch.tv/Samtastic95 (Speedruns and playthroughs)