Author Topic: How To Change Windows 8 Product Key To Complete Activation  (Read 8509 times)

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
How To Change Windows 8 Product Key To Complete Activation
« on: August 17, 2012, 01:38:37 AM »
Windows 8, yes the official version that will be launching this October 26th, is now available for download if you are a TechNet or MSDN subscriber. Even if you are not,  you can still go ahead and download the official version of Windows 8 for 90 days trail. That’s long enough to cover until the official Windows 8 release.

While I was downloading and installing Windows 8, one thing I found it was missing at least for me was the activation dialogue. I installed the Windows 8 Enterprise Edition, apparently the install wizard never asked me for the activation key. I suppose this might be the fact I’m installing Windows 8 Enterprise edition rather than the regular Windows 8. Usually enterprise editions are meant for volume installation and activation in corporation and large organizations.  Unfortunately, my TechNet subscription doesn’t offer Windows 8 Pro edition, so I grabbed the enterprise edition. (confused between Windows 8 editions ? be sure to get to know all the Windows 8 editions before purchasing your upgrade)

No activation is fine until I wanted to change my Start screen’s background.

Under the PC Settings > Personalize. It says “You need to activate Windows before you can personalize your PC.” So that leaves me no choice but to activate.

But …

After pocking around all the possible place, I couldn’t find a UI that allows me to change or even enter my activation key. So that leaves me no choice but to activate Windows 8 via a “hack” command prompt method.

You need to go to the Start screen type “cmd” and right click. Make sure you choose run as “Administrator” from the bottom options.

Once the command prompt is launched as Administrator, run the following command to enter your activation key.

slmgr.vbs -ipk YOUR-ACTIVATION-KEY-HERE

You will get a confirmation for the product key that you have entered.

Then, run slmgr.vbs -ato to activate the product key

Finally you will get a confirmation on product activated successfully.

Now all you need to do is to restart your Windows 8.

Offline Snuffy

How To Change Windows 8 Product Key To Complete Activation
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 08:12:47 PM »
easy way to find command prompt an run as Admin...

Win key + x  several features there.
slmgr works the same on Windows 8 as it did Windows X.

also If the key you use allows Activation... almost instantly the Watermark is  GONE (lower right corner) and the Activate Now is gone ...
ahhh want to see them again  ok easy
slmgr -upk and wham they reappear... watermark and Activate now...
ugly things so away they go.
slmgr -ipk "your key here again" if the key is good instantly they are gone...

The only STUPID Question is the one you never asked.