Author Topic: Microsoft Officially Terminates Support For Windows XP  (Read 2123 times)

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
Microsoft Officially Terminates Support For Windows XP
« on: April 08, 2014, 04:12:43 PM »
The big day is here! After 12 extended and fruitful years, Microsoft has terminated support for one of its most popular operating systems. Windows XP is, as of today, officially retired.

Sure, the OS will be in line to receive its final set of security fixes as part of Patch Tuesday later in the day, but starting tomorrow, the operating system that launched on October 25, 2001 will become vulnerable to attacks — with no bug fixes from Redmond.

Microsoft talked about this in a short tweet, warning users that not upgrading could place their businesses at risk. The company also launched a special new page to mark the occasion.

The tagline of this new page is “Goodbye XP. Hello future.”

And even though the OS has lived on far longer than initially expected, the software titan goes on to explain that Windows XP is no longer a secure operating platform:

“After 13 years of loyal service, support for Windows XP and Office 2003 officially ended on 8 April 2014. And while PCs running XP still work, we’re no longer offering technical support, seeding security patches, pushing bug fixes or developing service packs.

Find out what the end of Windows XP support means to your company, what your options are and how a switch to today’s tools and devices can place your business on the front foot for tomorrow.”
While mainstream support for Window XP ended five years ago, in April 2009 to be exact, Microsoft has since been providing extended support for the operating system.

The company will continue to provide a level of support for those that can shell out millions for it, but even those banks, institutions, industries, businesses and government organizations that have opted for this route are finalizing their plans to upgrade to a newer platform.

Many will continue running Windows XP for the foreseeable future, however, and it will be interesting to see the numbers. But for the 28 or so percent of users that are still running Windows XP, it begins.

So long then, Windows XP. Goodbye.

source:eyeonwindows│via:microsoft
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 04:15:56 PM by javajolt »

Offline Samtastic

• I do Windows, Mac, iOS and Video Games
    • Wordpress Sam's Site
Microsoft Officially Terminates Support For Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 06:32:14 PM »
I sticky this topic as this is one of the most important things that is happening in the computing industry at the moment and this will get people's attention.

My recommendations are:

Try out Windows 8.1! We have download links to the latest ISO's available for Windows 8.1 including Core, Pro and Enterprise!

Move to a Mac! Apple updates it's operating system every year and announcements about latest operating systems usually take place at WWDC in June!
As I am a Mac user I will be able to assist you on your Mac just by PMing me or answering a question in the OS X section of the forum.

By a new custom built PC or laptop and get Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 installed You can buy a complete license of Windows 8.1 and have 2 types of interfaces or you can get a Windows XP-like OS that is still been supported up to January 14 2020 and Windows 8.1 ends only 3 years later. January 10 2023.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:12:26 PM by Sam »
Sam
Windows News & Info Super Moderrator
Video game Reporter
Youtube.co.uk/Samlaptop950 (Electronic Games High Scores and Gameplay,)
Oddworld and other video games walkthroughs, Speedruns and Tool Assisted Runs)
Twitch.tv/Samtastic95 (Speedruns and playthroughs)