Author Topic: Windows 8.1 PC Settings now shows Disk Space used by Modern Apps, Media, Files  (Read 1179 times)

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
Most of you may have installed the Windows 8.1 Update by now. This free update to Windows 8 adds several new features. The Windows 8.1 Update focuses on customer-driven improvements, tutorials, more personalization options, the ability to boot to desktop by default, improvements to multi-tasking, and more.

What you might miss notice is that if you open PC Settings via the Charms bar, you will see a new section Disk Space. To see it, open PC Settings, click on PC and devices. In the right pane, you will see

Under Disk Space, you will be able to see the space occupied by Modern Apps and Media and files under User files.

Clicking on See my app sizes, will show you the disk space occupied by each of your installed Modern apps. This is helpful if you want to identify which of the apps are occupying maximum disk space – and can help you decide if you want to uninstall some of them to clear up disk space.

You are also shown the disk space occupied by your Pictures, Videos, Music, Documents and Downloads which may be placed in your User folders. But there is nothing else you can do here except see the sizes. You cannot open the folders nor interact with them in any way.

You are also offered a button to Empty the Recycle Bin.

The roll out for the Windows 8.1 Update or KB2919355 to Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1 customers via Windows Update has already started on April 8th. I am sure you must have installed it by now. Read this post if Windows 8.1 Update fails to install. Do let us know if you have noticed some interesting changes.

Go here if you’d like to have a look watch Windows 8.1 Update How-to videos and Guides.

twc