Author Topic: Potential Fixes for Windows 8.1 Update 1 Failing to Install  (Read 1748 times)

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
Potential Fixes for Windows 8.1 Update 1 Failing to Install
« on: April 16, 2014, 02:15:22 AM »
Windows 8.1 Update 1 has been touted as a much needed release for the Windows 8.x OS. Some have stated that it's what Windows 8 should have been in the first place. Microsoft is definitely playing catch-up with its subsequent releases, providing better features for those wanting to use the latest operating system without having to give up something in the process.

As successful a release as Update 1 appears for many, there is a minority of users where the update fails to install for one reason or another. Common installation problems result in errors 80070020, 8007312, 0X800f081f, and 0x80071a91.

Some of the problems have been attributed to issues that existed already before the update was released, while others have surfaced as resulting in corrupted downloads from Windows Update. Despite the exact issue, there have been a few solutions communicated that could help get Update 1 installed. It's pretty important that Update 1 be installed, considering that without it Windows 8.1 users will no longer receive security updates. Update 1 is a required installation.

So, here's a few fixes that are available.

Error 0x80071a91

For error 0x80071a91, Microsoft has produced a special hotfix. The associated KB Article is 2939087. Microsoft gives no indication about the actual source of the problem, just that a special hotfix is available to help alleviate the issue.

The hotfix can be obtained through Windows Update, or downloaded from the KB Article itself. Depending on the OS (Windows 8.1 x86, Windows 8.1 x64, or Windows Server 2012 R2), there is a separate download for each affected version.

Get it here: Error 0x80071a91 when installing update 2919355 in Windows

Errors 80070020, 8007312, 0X800f081f

These error numbers seem to indicate that there was an existing problem with Windows, and more specifically in the Windows Update components themselves. To resolve these errors, Windows Update must be fixed, remnants of the original failed Update 1 installation must be removed, the WinSxS folder cleaned up, and Update 1 reinstalled.

You can find an 8-step process for this in Microsoft's Windows forums: Windows 8.1 Update 1 Failing to Install with errors 80070020, 80073712 and 0x800f081f

I've heard from a few people, myself, who have used the steps in the Windows forum with success and were finally able to install Update 1.

source:windowsitpro

My method might seem a bit extreme to some W8NI members, but here is how I installed Windows 8.1 Update 1

I started by Reformatting my HDD, and doing a clean installation of Windows 8.1 Pro RTM.  Then installed KB2919442 although it was not called for I restarted after this install, Once my system restarted I followed up by installing KB2919355 (approx. 960MB) the download was about 12 minutes and installation was probably 30 minutes with my computer making noises and restarting a couple of times.

On the final restart my desktop was stuck at 32% for the longest and I was already searching on my laptop for what to do in the event 2919355 stalled when all of a sudden it jumped to 75% then completed and restarted on final time.

I was very excited when Windows 8 did not automatically go in to Repair Mode.  Windows 8.1 Update 1 finally started, I check for any further updates and there were none available.

As you can see in my Dism /Online /Get-Packages both of the critical Updates were installed

To check yours using the following command with elevated privileges

C:\Windows\system32>Dism /Online /Get-Packages

I proceeded to Activate my new installation....Javajolt
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:32:18 AM by javajolt »