Author Topic: Microsoft is working on a possible Software Center  (Read 2563 times)

Offline riso

• Administrator
  • Beta tester Tech support dedicated 110%
    • windows 10 news and info | Forum - Blog
Microsoft is working on a possible Software Center
« on: February 20, 2009, 06:06:46 AM »
Rumor,
Microsoft may be working on a software center, an application in the control panel of Windows like Linux distributions have, they permit applications to be very easy to add.

Several beta testers of Windows7 have indicated that there is a name change within the control panel,
''select Add and remove software'' has been renamed to" Programs and Features'.
That is not the only reason why people think that such a feature is comming into Windows, Microsoft has also issued a survey that ask questions relating to this transformation.

This possible new feature in Windows makes it easier to manage its software. 
In Linux distributions, this is already possible via the option to add new applications. 
Also possible is to use the option to remove applications or change them.
In Ubuntu, for example, it is called Ubuntu Synaptic.
These are just rumors, Microsoft has not actually admitted it Yet.
Several people are now waiting for the feature, but it is also interesting for companies. 
It is yet another form of Ms. advertising.
Microsoft will have still much to talk with alot other companies, Oem, vendors on how and what with this new application but while Beta-testing it is already activ!.
When this usefull new application comes for sure is at this moment still unknown.
The expection is that it comes for sure!.
riso,
Msdn,
Technet.
January 26, 2009

Offline sceadwe

Re: Microsoft is working on a possible Software Center
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 08:46:29 PM »
This would be so nice, the only thing I miss from ubuntu is synaptic.

cant wait
AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200+ Overclocked @ 3.05 Ghz
4.00 GB DDR2 800 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro (256Mb)
Windows 7 Ultimate RC Build 7100 x64

Offline Hashan Godakanda

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 06:18:32 PM »
Hope it will be available on windows 7. Great if it is there!!!

Offline Jake

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 03:13:41 AM »
Hopefully it's loaded with useful freeware from download.com or something and not sponsored stuff...  I really hate having to pay for things when I can find a freeware version that works so much better.

All in all though it should be a very useful and convenient update, I may hate Macs but they do have some good ideas in them.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 10:17:17 PM by Irtehpasty »
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Offline martyfelker

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 12:48:20 AM »
1)  Add/Remove Programs has been replaced by Programs and Features since Vista Beta's.
2)  Ubuntu and every Debian Based Linux Distro has synaptic as well as add/remove programs built in.
3)  Other Linux distros and openSolaris or openSUSE have something similiar.

The linux distros are using depositories around the world to get the lastest and greatest for free.  If Windows 7 had something similiar it should point to free products on the Windows Marketplace - but that will never happen since Windows will remain proprietary to all but corporate programmers for years to come.

That said, Windows 7 looks to be best MS distro since Windows 2000 IMHO.  I'm running Windows 2000 as an upgrade from Windows XP on a used 7 year old Gateway Pentium II with 384K and it works perfectly!  Will a Windows 7 64 bit computer last until 2016 - not likely.

I'm dual booting Windows with two bersions of Linux and both Linux distro can r/w the Windows parition(s) using NTFS.  There is a similiar program for windows that can r/w Linux.

mf