Author Topic: Google Fiber-free? Alphabet wants to deliver gigabit internet without wires  (Read 682 times)

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
Google Fiber offers high-speed internet service to customers in select US markets… and when I say high-speed, I mean Google Fiber is one of the fastest internet service providers in the country, with speeds up to 1 gigabit (1,000 Mbps) for both downloads and uploads.

But part of the reason Google Fiber is only available in 5 markets at the moment is because it takes a lot of work to build out a fiber optic network.

In the future, things might be easier though… because Google’s parent company Alphabet is looking into delivering gigabit internet without wires. Well, without as many wires, anyway.

The Wall Street Journal reports that Alphabet chairman Eric Schmidt says the company is looking into point-to-point wireless internet, and that new technologies are making it cheaper to deliver high-speed internet without wires than it is to bring a wired connection to your home.

He made remarks at the Alphabet’s annual shareholder meeting this week. You can find a full transcript at Seeking Alpha, although only a small portion of the meeting deals with wireless internet delivery.

Google isn’t the only company looking to bring high-speed internet to your home or business using wireless technology. Earlier this year a startup called Starry announced plans to launch a pilot program for wireless Gigabit internet in Boston this summer.

source:liliputing