Author Topic: How to secure your Social Media Accounts  (Read 324 times)

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
How to secure your Social Media Accounts
« on: May 08, 2017, 05:51:06 PM »
The online world is no different from the actual world, in every corner lurks a threat that can possibly throw your life off the track. With the exponential rise in usage of Social Media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram the perils from the hackers have also increased several posts. Unlike before most of us don’t shy away from uploading personal stuff on Social Media and the chances are that this might return to bite you back.

Secure Social Media Accounts

Now, I am not going to advise folks to refrain from Social Media since it is the lifeline for most of us, but one can take some cautionary measures and minimize the risks from such threats. A majority of Social Media sites these days offer a plethora of security options and all we need to do is enable them. Social media scores on the top when it comes to privacy attack, person impersonation and stealing your data only to be used somewhere else. In this segment, let’s take a look at how we can safeguard our Social Media Accounts across different platforms.

Secure Facebook account

Literally, everyone is on Facebook and use the platform exclusively. and most of us are trigger happy when it comes to putting stuff on Facebook. Below are some of the ways by which you can protect & secure your Facebook account.

Login Alerts

Well, I consider the Login alerts as the bare basics of the Facebook etiquettes. This can be annoying at times but its well worth it. The Login alert means that you would get a notification in the form of an email or a text message whenever your account is accessed on any other device. It’s for this reason you can mark the devices you use as trusted. In order to access this option head over to Security Settings>Login Alerts Section> Type of alert>Click Save Changes.In case you receive a notification from an unknown login session immediately change your Facebook login credentials.

One Time Password

I am sure you are already familiar with this method. The two-factor authentication is one of the most effective ways to ward off intruders. This is the same method used by financial institutions for online transactions. Every time you log in you also need to enter the OTP Pin sent to your email or phone. However, make sure the mobile number is the same that you have used to link your Facebook account.

Code Generator

If you are wary of using the SMS and the internet for the OPT the code generator is something you should consider. With the code generator you can also reset the password, however, the as of now the Generator is available only for a Facebook app for iOS and Android.

TIP: Facebook Security Checkup lets you secure your account.

Secure LinkedIn account

Securing LinkedIn is only more important since it’s a professional networking site and any attacks on the same can result in the huge loss. The hackers might not only scrape your data from your profile but also have access to your private emails with employers and this is something that can land you in jeopardy.

Sadly unlike Facebook and other Social Networks, the LinkedIn doesn’t offer a slew of security features. Yes, it does boast of several options that can be toggled to see how your profile would appear but this is not something that guarantees immunity from the attackers.

Two-step verification

This feature can be accessed by heading over to Settings > Privacy > Security > Two-step verification. Now you need to add your phone number in case you haven’t already done that and this step also includes verifying your phone number via an OTP. Once set next time you want to access LinkedIn a message with OTP will be sent and all you need to do is punch the OTP.

Secure Twitter account

Twitter is the personal favorite for trolls and while they might appear as harmless at the outset they do tend to impact us psychologically. So when it comes to Twitter I can’t help but advise users to protect the Tweets so that non-Followers cannot see what you Tweet. The only downside as I can see is that if you try to promote stuff or your blog opting for this setting will not workout since the content will only available for your followers.

Verify Login Requests

These options can be found by clicking on your profile photo on the top right and heading over to the Account>Security?Login Verification. By clicking on the checkbox an SMS with the code will be sent to the account and by using this you can authenticate your login request.

Password Requests

Most of the attackers try to gain access to your account by resetting the password by just using the username. By enabling the “Password Requests” option Twitter will ask you personal questions before actually resetting the profile. In certain cases, it may also ask you to verify the phone number and email ID whilst initiating the password reset process.

Secure Instagram account

Instagram is the only place wherein I put up personal pictures. In fact, I have been in love with its UI for some reasons and ever since I am hooked on this platform. Instagram does come baked with a few good privacy options and by turning them on you can add an extra layer of security to your account.

Private Account

Instagram or any social media platform is full of people who keep snooping around others profile while downloading their private images. Especially on Instagram, this problem looms large since its primarily based on uploading your pictures. Go to Profile>Settings>Account>Private account. Toggle this on in order to keep your photos safe from the prying eyes and will only be visible to your followers.

Two Factor Authentication

I hope you are familiar with the two-factor authentication by now. As in earlier cases, one can also set up two-factor authentication on Instagram and with this, a code needs to be entered in order to log in. Also on Instagram is someone is pestering you can simply block them. Overall these are some of the steps that can help you safeguard your Instagram account.

twc
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 06:32:57 PM by javajolt »