Author Topic: Goodbye Outlook Express, farewell Paint, au revoir screensavers – What Windows 1  (Read 73 times)

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
The next version of Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is going to bring a number of major changes.

It will however also bring a number of changes to less used or noticed features, doing some “spring” cleaning and removing outdated or underused features.

Removing these underused features helps make Windows easier to maintain, reduces the number of potential security issues, and allows for the development of new features.

At the same time, it also increases the risk of old applications failing and of upsetting some users who are have become accustomed to the availability of these features.

Microsoft has posted a list of apps and features which are being deprecated (ie not in active development and which may be removed in future releases) or actually being removed in the Fall Creators Update.

Some of the features I suspect most of our readers have never heard of (e.g. TCP Offload engine) and others may worry old time Windows users.

The main feature that stands out to me, and which is being deprecated and therefore a risk of removal is the Paint app, which I used multiple times per day to resize, crop and label images. It remains much faster than a full image editor, and its absence will be missed.

Microsoft is also looking to remove screen saver support. This is likely because the company has other uses for the Lock Screen rather than showing flying toasters.

Some items appear to be set for removal before a replacement is ready, such as Reading List and Sync your settings, but I suspect hardly anyone use those features in any case.

Microsoft posted the list to help users make early plans to adapt to the changes. The list is still subject to change (for those who want to fight for Paint 😉 ) but can be seen in full below.

source
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 04:40:37 PM by javajolt »