Author Topic: The Ultimate Windows 10 Upgrade FAQ Page 2 of 2  (Read 163 times)

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
The Ultimate Windows 10 Upgrade FAQ Page 2 of 2
« on: November 12, 2017, 04:45:52 AM »
◄ part 1

QUESTION: Can I change my language when I upgrade?

The easiest way to change your language is to upgrade using the same language you currently have on your PC and then add a new language later.

To add new languages in Windows 10, select the Start button, then select Settings > Time & Language > Region & Language > Add a Language, and then choose the language you want.

QUESTION: Is Windows Media Center available in Windows 10?

After the upgrade is completed you won’t be able to install Windows Media Center.

No, Windows Media Center isn’t available as part of Windows 10 and will be removed during the upgrade.

QUESTION: Can I go back to my old operating system?

Maybe. There are several ways for you to go back from Windows 10 to a previous version of Windows:

You’ll be able to go back to an earlier version by going to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery. The time you have to go back depends on what version of Windows 10 your PC is running after the upgrade.

For example, if your PC is running Windows 10 Version 1511, you have a month to go back to your previous operating system. If your PC is running Windows 10 Version 1607, you have 10 days to go back. (To see what version of Windows 10 your PC is running after you upgrade, select the Start button, then select Settings > System > About.)

If your PC manufacturer provides the option, you might be able to restore your device to factory settings. Also, if options to go back and restore factory settings aren’t available, you can use installation media and a product key to install an earlier version of Windows.

QUESTION: What if my PC should die? What happens to my upgrade then?

If your hardware died within the one year FREE upgrade period, the next PC you bought should either have come with Windows 10 or have Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 and you can do the FREE upgrade again.

If your hardware dies AFTER the one year period, the next PC you buy should either come with Windows 10 or if you (for some reason) get Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, you will have to pay for a Windows 10 upgrade.

QUESTION: I’m currently running an OEM [original equipment manufacturer] copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Would this be eligible for an upgrade to Windows 10 too?

In theory, yes, but Microsoft has not said what it plans to do about OEM versions that were intended for small PC makers but have been purchased by consumers. Probably yes but you will probably be limited to Windows 10 Home or Pro regardless of whether you had an “ultimate” version or not.

When can I just go out to a store and buy Windows 10?

Right now, get to it. Or just buy from Amazon here.

I have some really hard to find and unusual software and/or hardware that I am running on Windows 7 or 8.1? Should I install Windows 10?

If you have any unusual hardware or software, you might need to hold off installing Windows 10.

The first thing you need to do is check your vendor’s website to see if they already have a version of their software or hardware compatible with Windows 10. You then need to check for the right software drivers to make sure Windows 10 won’t crash your app or hardware.

QUESTION: How much memory do I need to move to Windows 10?

Microsoft says that 32-bit Windows 10 will run in 1GB and the 64-bit version in 2GB. We recommend doubling each number, ie 2GB, and 4GB.

If you are running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 in 3GB, 64-bit Windows 10 should run slightly better. You need the 64-bit version to support more than 4GB.

QUESTION: Does my Windows 10 upgrade have to match my current OS?

If you have a Home version, you will get Windows 10 Home, and if it’s a Pro version, you will get Windows 10 Pro.

Microsoft always does like-for-like upgrades, where possible. There is NOT a Windows 10 Ultimate, so people who bought Vista Ultimate or Windows 7 Ultimate will be downgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

QUESTION: Will I be able to go from 32-bit Windows 8.1 to 64-bit Windows 10?

Not directly. If you let Windows Update upgrade your system “in place”, it will always do it on a like-for-like basis: 32-bit to 32-bit; 64-bit to 64-bit.

Moving any 32-bit version of Windows to any 64-bit version always requires a “clean installation” from a DVD or USB drive. This will delete your old operating system, programs, and data, so you will have to re-install everything from scratch.

QUESTION: Can I downgrade later? If I upgrade to Windows 10 and do not like it, will I be able to go back to Windows 7 or 8?

Yes – Microsoft aims to enable you to “roll back” to your old operating system if required BUT it’s essential to back up your old system before installing a new one.

You should also use the option to create “recovery media” with your old system, so that you’re not totally dependent on the “roll back” working.

QUESTION: I have some real business mission-critical apps on my business computer and I’m nervous about upgrading.

DO NOT INSTALL WINDOWS 10 UNTIL YOU’RE COMFORTABLE – In cases where you have applications that run or severely impact your business, take your time and test, test and test again. DON’T INSTALL WINDOWS 10 UNTIL YOU ARE READY. No one is holding a gun to your head.

QUESTION: What will happen to the Windows Insider program?

It will continue. Microsoft really values the Windows Insider program and will be keeping insiders informed about the latest builds and updates of Windows 10 to come.

QUESTION: Will that copy of Windows 10 RTM that upgraded my preview build be a genuine copy of Windows 10?

NO

QUESTION: If I want to continue as a Windows Insider, can I install a current build of Windows 10 preview, then use my Microsoft Account with it to get upgraded to Windows 10 RTM on 29 July?

YES

QUESTION: Will I continue to get new builds of Windows 10 after 29 July if I choose to remain in the Insider program?

YES

QUESTION: Will those builds ever expire?

YES

QUESTION: If I want to upgrade a Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 PC on 29 July that hasn’t been part of the Insider program, do I have to sign up before 29 July, or can I sign up after that date?

YES. They are keeping the Insider Program running after RTM is delivered on 29 July so that should mean sign-ups can happen after that date.

QUESTION: If I signed up as a Windows Insider prior to 29 July 2015, and continue downloading every build before RTM, so I can upgrade to Windows 10 RTM, can I then perform a clean install of Windows 10 after the upgrade?

YES. Windows Insiders will be able to a perform clean install of any testing build of Windows 10 after RTM is released – just like in the current Insider process. The RTM version that Insiders will receive will be just like that provided to everyone else expect it will have a time bomb in it that will expire the build unless you install a new Insider build.

QUESTION: If I opt out of the Windows Insider program before 29 July 2016 can I still use the free Windows upgrade if my device had a genuine copy of Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with Windows 8.1 Update) before I used it for the Insider program?

YES

QUESTION: If I opt out of the Windows Insider program after 30 July 2016 do I need to buy a new Windows 10 license if my device had a genuine copy of Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with Windows 8.1 Update) before I used it for the Insider program?

YES

QUESTION: I have a laptop and own the copy of Windows 7 Ultimate that is installed on it. I need to upgrade that laptop to Windows 10. However, after the upgrade, I would like to install the Windows 7 Ultimate OS into VirtualBox along with our old Windows XP copy for demonstration purposes. Can I do that?

NO. Since you are using the Windows 7 Ultimate license as the base for upgrading to Windows 10 on that device the Windows 7 license is locked to that machine and is not able to be moved.

What you can do is upgrade that Windows 7 Ultimate machine to Windows 10 Pro, the version it is allowed to upgrade to.

QUESTION: I have Windows 8.1 with an embedded key. If I upgrade to Windows 10 will that key be changed and no longer work for Windows 8.1?

NO. If your system has an embedded key, then it is most likely an OEM system with an OEM license of Windows 8.1.

You will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free and the system will be a valid install of Windows 10 and activated. Note that this is just for that machine.

QUESTION: If I have Windows 8.1 and if I upgrade now, and let’s say 16 months from now I want to go back to Windows 8.1 –can I do that? And then back to windows 10 a few months after that? Can I go back and forth whenever I want as long as it's on the same PC?

YES, YES and YES, although I can’t imagine any usage scenario where you’d actually want to keep flipping back and forth between two operating systems like that.

To the first YES: the ability to simply revert your upgrade from 8.1 to Windows 10 is for just 30 days. After that, you can revert back but it will require a reinstall of 8.1.

To the second YES: If you do the Windows 10 upgrade in the first 12 months it will be free for the lifetime of that device so you will be able to install Windows 10 after that on that system.

QUESTION: Is it true that the free upgrade to Windows 10 retains the properties of the license that was on the upgraded Windows 7 or 8.1 system? In other words, if I am on an OEM system when I upgrade it with a free Windows 10 upgrade, is it still licensed as an OEM system?

YES

QUESTION: I have a genuine copy of Windows 7 Professional on my laptop. I have never installed any Windows 10 build. Can I perform a clean install of Windows 10 instead of an upgrade? Does this change depending on whether I have an OEM or Retail copy? Are there any drawbacks to not performing a clean install if this is not possible?

YES. Microsoft has stated that a clean install will be possible on a retail or OEM copy as long as it is a genuine system.

QUESTION: If I built my own computer and purchased an OEM license for that hardware from either a bricks-and-mortar store or an online vendor, does my OEM license transfer to the Windows 10 upgrade after 29 July 2015?

YES

QUESTION: Can I transfer that OEM based Windows 10 upgrade to another computer?

NO

QUESTION: In my SMB, we have almost exclusively OEM Windows 7 Pro licenses that came with the computers. These computers are joined to a domain. Do my machines get a free upgrade? How?

YES. As an OEM licenses, they are eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade. You’ll have to download the ISO for installing and upgrading the operating systems, as domain joined machines will not see the “Get Windows 10” app.

QUESTION: If I upgrade to my OEM machine to Windows 10 from Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with Windows 8.1 Update), what if I want to upgrade a component in my PC a few months from now? Do the Windows 7/Windows 8.1 OEM upgrade rules apply in Windows?

YES. The same algorithm will be used to determine if enough hardware has changed to trigger having to re-authorize that system. Some hardware changes will not cause a system to be de-authorized and others will.

QUESTION: If I upgrade to the final version of Windows 10 anytime during the first year from a system with a genuine version of Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with Windows 8.1 Update) installed can I reinstall Windows 10?

YES

QUESTION: Can I do a clean install of Windows 10 from a system with a genuine version of Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with Windows 8.1 Update) installed?

YES

QUESTION: If I upgrade to the final version of Windows 10 anytime during the first year from a system with a non-genuine version of Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with Windows 8.1 Update) installed can I upgrade to Windows 10?

NO

QUESTION: Do I need to use a Microsoft Account to upgrade my Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with windows 8.1 Update) system to Windows 10?

NO

QUESTION: I understand both my Win7 SP1 PRO computers will get upgraded to Windows 10 (I have reserved the upgrade). Will I need a Microsoft account to “store” the Windows 10 keys after the upgrade (for future rebuilds) or can I continue avoiding using a MS account?

WE DON’T KNOW. Microsoft has not confirmed how they will track your activation and install yet. When they do confirm how they track your activation and install, we’ll let you know.

Thanks for reading this Windows 10 Upgrade FAQ page.

If you would like to get this FAQ in a nice formatted Adobe PDF document you can read later, you can download the PDF below.

source
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 06:01:50 AM by javajolt »