Author Topic: HP Spectre Folio thrashes Apple’s new Macbook Air in most areas  (Read 735 times)

Online javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com

The HP Spectre Folio is a pretty unique laptop which plays in the same rarified premium computing space as Apple, but with the Folio is appears HP has managed to beat Apple at its own game by delivering a device with great benefits and nearly no downsides.

This is according to DigitalTrends who posted a comparative review of the two devices.

They note while the latest version of the MacBook Air has been dramatically improved it’s no match for the sheer luxury and innovative 2-in-1 design of the Spectre Folio, despite being slightly thinner and lighter.

The HP Spectre Folio also has a better screen with better brightness, contrast and colour gamut, and was also available in a 1-watt low power version.

In terms of performance, both devices have Y-series CPUs, with the MacBook Air having a 7-watt piece while the Folio only peaks at 5 watts. In practice, however, when benchmarked the devices appear to have equal performance.

Possibly due to the combination of low power processor and screen, and slightly larger battery the HP Spectre Folio also offered a much better battery life.

DigitalTrends notes:

In practice, though, the difference in longevity is more striking. In our most demanding Basemark web benchmark test, the Folio lasted almost six and three-quarters hours, compared to the Air’s just over three and a half hours. In our web browsing test, the Folio lasted just over 10 hours compared to the Air at just over eight hours. And when looping a local video, the Folio lasted a spectacular 17 hours and 18 minutes compared to only 10 hours and 12 minutes for the Air.

The HP Spectre Folio starts somewhat more expensive than the Macbook Air and tops out a bit higher, but offers more at those price points.

The Folio starts at $1,300 for the Core i5-8500U, 8GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD, and goes up from there to $1,608 for 16GB of RAM and gigabit LTE. Pricing for the 4K UHD version hasn’t yet been announced.

The MacBook Air starts at $999 with a Core i5, 8GB of RAM, and a 128GB SSD. The price goes up to $1,399 for a Core i7, 8GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD with no LTE version or 16 GB version available.

DigitalTrends concludes:

The Folio is more luxurious, performs similarly to the Air, and it lasts such a very long time on a charge. Apple fans will no doubt flock to the cheaper MacBook Air, but the Folio wins this feature-by-feature comparison hands-down.

Read DigitalTrend’s full and detailed review here.

source