Author Topic: Nintendo delists text-based RPG The Dark Room for hiding a code editor  (Read 384 times)

Online javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
Text-based RPG A Dark Room has been delisted from Nintendo’s eShop for hiding a code editor.

Taking to social media/forum site Mastodon, developer Amir Rajan revealed that his game included a full code editor and Ruby interpreter that’s accessible within A Dark Room.

“Last week I released A Dark Room to the Nintendo Switch,” Rajan posted. “Within the game, I also shipped a Ruby interpreter and a code editor as an Easter Egg. This Easter Egg effectively turns every consumer spec-ed Nintendo Switch into a Ruby Machine.” The editor was easily accessible by plugging in a USB keyboard and pressing “~”.

After the code editor was made known to Nintendo, A Dark Room was immediately removed from the device’s eShop. With publisher Circle Entertainment having to deal with the wrath of Nintendo, Rajan has gone on to say that the following days have been “the worst” of his life.

”I deeply regret how this has blown up,” Rajan told Eurogamer. “I acted alone and stupidly. It was a last second ‘spark of inspiration’ and I snuck it in assuming that plugging in a USB keyboard and pressing the “~” key wasn’t part of the test plan.”

”Having Circle deal with some of this cannon fire is not something I’d ever want,” he continued. “These past three days have been the worst days of my life. And I don’t know what to say except I’m sorry, and all I wanted to do was allow kids (and coding adults that have forgotten the joy) to discover what I discovered 25 years ago.”

As for now, there’s no telling whether or not Nintendo will allow A Dark Room to return to the eShop after the code editor gets removed. Circle Entertainment has announced that they are talking to Nintendo regarding what to do next.

source