Author Topic: Windows 10 1903 Rolling Out Improved Windows Update Controls  (Read 89 times)

Online javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com

Microsoft has started rolling out the "Download and install now" Windows Update feature to users of Windows 10 version 1903. This feature is part of Microsoft's new Windows Update experience that aims to provide more control over how and when updates are installed.

One of the biggest complaints that Windows 10 users have with updates is that they are installed automatically and then your computer is rebooted without your permission. These automatic could lead to loss of work, productivity, or the termination of programs that are meant to be left running.

Feedback Hub complaints about automatic reboots

Windows 10 does have an Active hours setting that prohibits Windows from rebooting the computer during those time periods. The active hour's schedule, though, can only be configured for an 18 hour period, which is not adequate for some people.

For example, I can be on my computer between 6 AM and 2 AM, yet this is greater than 18 hours and thus I can't specify to reboot my computer during this period.

Active hours

Microsoft has stated they have heard the complaints of their users and trying to create a better Windows Update experience.

As part of this goal, Microsoft stated they were adding a new feature called "Download and install now" that will not install Feature Updates unless you specifically tell it to.

"Download and install now option provides users a separate control to initiate the installation of a feature update on eligible devices with no known key blocking compatibility issues. Users can still “Check for updates” to get monthly quality and security updates. Windows will automatically initiate a new feature update if the version of Windows 10 is nearing the end of support. We may notify you when a feature update is available and ready for your machine. All Windows 10 devices with a supported version will continue to automatically receive the monthly updates. This new “download and install” option will also be available for our most popular versions of Windows 10, versions 1803 and 1809, by late May."

According to a Reddit user named Leopeva64-2, this feature is now rolling out to Windows 10 version 1903 users and should be available to everyone when the May 2019 Update is released. Below is a picture shared by Leopeva64-2 of this feature being used for a Cumulative Update in Windows 10 Home version 1903.

Download and install now option in version 1903

The "Download and install now" was described as only being applicable to Feature Update, but it appears that Microsoft has expanded this to other types of updates.

This is good news, as more control is always better.

source