Author Topic: Not getting 20H2 update  (Read 135 times)

Offline fdhealy4

Not getting 20H2 update
« on: November 18, 2020, 12:10:06 AM »
I have always gotten these kind of updates very fast. So far I have not received the 20H2 update. I have all available updates up to this point. I know MS won't send me the update if there is a conflict with my system. Like I said I've never had an update problem before. Anything I can check or do?

Dale

PC - custom build
CPU - i7 - 7700
Windows 10 Pro v2004
Dale

Online javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
Not getting 20H2 update
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 12:44:57 PM »
Install Windows 10 Version 20H2 Right Now (Updated)

UPDATE: Microsoft fixed the WSL 2 issue noted below, so there’s no reason not to get this release early now. –Paul

Now that Microsoft has finalized Windows 10 version 20H2 you can easily install it ahead of its general release to the public.

Doing so is mostly non-problematic: Windows 10 version 20H2 is a minor upgrade over its predecessor with no major new features, and if you already installed that version of Windows, you can be done with this entire process in under 20 minutes. There is, however, one reason you might not want to install 20H2 yet: If you are using Windows Subsystem with Linux (WSL) 2.0, there is a bug in the current 20H2 build that prevents it from working at the time of this writing. So wait until it’s fixed if you need WSL 2.0.

Here’s how to upgrade immediately.

Open Settings (WINKEY + I)  and navigate to Update & Security > Windows Insider Program.

Click the Get Started button. As prompted, choose the Microsoft account to use.

Here, choose “Release Preview Channel” and then click Confirm. Then click Confirm again. And restart the PC as prompted.

When the PC reboots, navigate to Update & Security > Windows Update and click the Check for Updates button. You will see that the “feature update to Windows 10 version 20H2” is offered. Install any pending updates first. Then, click “Download and install.”

The feature update will download and install. If you are already using Windows 10 version 2004, this process will take just a few minutes. Click Restart now when prompted.

When the PC reboots, you will see that you are now using version 20H2. This can be seen in About Windows (winver) or in Settings > System > About.

Open Settings again and navigate to Update & Security > Windows Insider Program. Enable the option “Stop getting preview builds” to ensure that your PC automatically unenrolls from the Insider Program when this version of Windows is released to the public. You will continue to get serving updates on the normal schedule going forward regardless

Hope this helps!

This from Microsoft;

Microsoft recommends waiting until Windows Update offers the update on your PC. If you don’t see the update, it’s possible your PC has a compatibility issue that should be fixed before you install the update.

But, if you want to install the update anyway, that’s a choice you can make.

Warning: We recommend against doing this, as you’re skipping part of the testing process. You may experience bugs or other problems.

To skip Microsoft’s gradual rollout process, visit Microsoft’s Download Windows 10 page. Click “Download Now” to download the Update Assistant and run the downloaded EXE file.

You’ll see a message telling you which version of Windows 10 you’re running. It will say the latest version of Windows 10 is version 2009, which is the October 2020 Update.

To go ahead with the update, click “Update Now” to install it. This skips any “holds” Windows Update may have to prevent your PC from upgrading. It will download the update and will eventually prompt you to restart your PC.

source

Offline fdhealy4

Not getting 20H2 update
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 06:35:18 PM »
I tried updating manually but it cancelled the update at 45% even though I am running v2004 now. I thought if I had 2004 my computer was compatible with the 20H2 update. Anyway to find out why it won't update?
Dale

Offline fdhealy4

Not getting 20H2 update
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 08:44:34 PM »
Tried it a second time and it worked.

Solved

Thanks
Dale
Dale