Author Topic: Explorer now has a “Home” tab  (Read 1355 times)

Offline riso

• Administrator
  • Beta tester Tech support dedicated 110%
    • windows 10 news and info | Forum - Blog
Explorer now has a “Home” tab
« on: October 08, 2014, 06:24:14 PM »
In the last few versions of Windows, opening My Computer or a new Explorer window would show you your computer’s various storage locations and shortcuts to default folders like Documents and My Pictures. In Windows 10, you now end up in a new view called Home, which shows Favorites, Frequent Folders, and Recent Files. Take a look at the screenshot below and you’ll see what I mean.
Favorites seems to be where Documents or My Pictures should appear. I don’t know the math behind the Frequent Folders, but it looks like it just tracks which folders I’ve opened the most times. Recent Files is like the Recent Places feature that premiered in Windows Vista, but just for files.

I assume that folders can be added to the Favorites section, but I haven’t yet worked out how to do it. (To be honest, the more advanced features of Explorer, like Libraries, are still pretty hard to penetrate.)

“This PC” is still available from the left-hand menu if you want to manage your various storage locations/default folders. I like the new Home tab a lot.

You can finally put the Recycle Bin on the taskbar

Rather than having to poke around Explorer or minimize everything and find the Recycle Bin icon on the Desktop, in Windows 10 you can now add the Recycle Bin to both the taskbar and the Start menu. Yes, that is the sound of many brains exploding as they catastrophically realize the enormity of this change.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 06:36:02 PM by riso »