Author Topic: Trouble with OEM dfisk  (Read 4257 times)

Offline blockie

Trouble with OEM dfisk
« on: March 03, 2010, 07:35:35 PM »
I purchased a OEM version of W7 Ultimate planning to do a clean install on my computer. I burned the ISO to a DVD at 1X speed. When I boot from the DVD, the installation program starts with a black screen and a message appear at lower left the some files are being copied then it goes to a blue screen with a bird and, what looks like, airplane contrails. The installation stops at this point. I have waited as long as 10 minutes but nothing else happens.
I then went to the DVD drive using Windows Explorer and clicked on setup.exe and the same blue screen appeared only this time it again copied files and went on to the installation. I stopped before completing because I did not want to erase my system  drive yet.
My question is, If I by-pass the auto boot and start the installation from "setup.exe" will I be OK?
Bill
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 04:55:36 AM by javajolt »

Offline DMHolt57

Re: Trouble with OEM dfisk
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 09:36:14 PM »
As long as you are not changing the architecture, i.e. 32 bit to 64 bit you should be ok.  Many times I do not even burn disks, just mount the .iso as a virtual drive and run setup.exe.  No problems that way...and no wasted disks.  8)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 05:19:15 AM by javajolt »

Offline blockie

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 09:45:42 PM »
Thanks, I'll try this weekend.
Bill
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 05:19:26 AM by javajolt »

Offline blockie

Re: Trouble with OEM disk
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 12:48:49 AM »
I find that I don't know how to mount the ISO. Help?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 05:19:37 AM by javajolt »

Offline blockie

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 01:28:28 AM »
DmHolty57 talked about mounting the ISO. That's what I want.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 05:20:12 AM by javajolt »

Offline DMHolt57

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 02:53:25 AM »
I use virtual clone drive  ;) sometimes I just open an .iso with winrar and double click the setup.exe, works as well as mounting it.

http://www.slysoft.com/virtual-clonedrive.html
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 05:21:02 AM by javajolt »

Offline Snuffy

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 10:20:51 PM »
I purchased a OEM version of W7 Ultimate planning to do a clean install on my computer. I burned the ISO to a DVD at 1X speed. When I boot from the DVD, the installation program starts with a black screen and a message appear at lower left the some files are being copied then it goes to a blue screen with a bird and, what looks like, airplane contrails. The installation stops at this point. I have waited as long as 10 minutes but nothing else happens.
I then went to the DVD drive using Windows Explorer and clicked on setup.exe and the same blue screen appeared only this time it again copied files and went on to the installation. I stopped before completing because I did not want to erase my system  drive yet.
My question is, If I by-pass the auto boot and start the installation from "setup.exe" will I be OK?
Bill
You did verify the download was authentic and complete.  It sould like to me you do not have a complete download. also did you purchase a FULL OEM or by chance did you purchase a Update Edition.... makes a big difference on if and how to install.
plz verify by posting a SNIP of the info for your disk.... I have found many bought a UPGRADE edition and not a FULL Edition.
The only STUPID Question is the one you never asked.

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 01:01:35 AM »
The OEM you purchased, did it come from a local computer store or an OEM manufacture?  Either way I would think there are return rights with it.  I would make some phone calls or send some emails and ask questions.

Offline Snuffy

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 02:05:24 AM »

I purchased a OEM version of W7 Ultimate planning to do a clean install on my computer. I burned the ISO to a DVD at 1X speed.
From his post he ordered thru MS or DigitalRiver... and then downloaded... then he burnt at 1X speed - now what was thr rated speed for the DVD. some of the newer simply fail at speeds lower than 4x..   It is possible that 1.) the download was faulty, happens a lot on slow internet speeds, 2.) or very old DVD burners that will not burn at higher speeds.  3.) I wonder also if he checked the DL with a hashcheck, (probably not), 4.) I also wonder if he verified the burn after it was burnt, apparently not.  If he purchased from-thru MS he can download again from DigitalRiver... Also it would be very nice to know if he purchased a UPGRADE Edition or a FULL Edition... reason i ask,  I just did a NEW install for a neighbor, and when I tried to Activate the KEY FAILED.... I ask what and where did he buy, the showed me the Download sheet sent by Microsoft and the link and (WHAT DO YOU KNOW IT WAS AN UPGRADE KEY.  NOT A RETAIL OEM).  DAMN BIG DIFFERENCE -

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 06:37:33 AM »
I remember reading somewhere a long time ago about doing a full install from an upgrade and the steps involved in this procedure.  Snuffy, do you know if he has tried your Uloader to activate?

Offline Snuffy

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 03:55:49 PM »
The only difference in UPGRADE to full install is
 1.) insert the UPGRADE disk - when as for a KEY - do not insert a key - the install will continue and become a 30 day TRIAL Edition.
 2.) while you are booted to your trial edition - move to the DVD - open and click setup again ... when ask click upgrade - when ask Insert the UPGRADE KEY, when you are finished you have a full installed OEM UPGRADE - and Activated. 
I'm not sure if Microsoft still has this info listed on the How to site... but it is listed in the Manual when you purchase a Full Retail OEM UPgrade disk from ( Walmart, BestBuy or any other store that sells RETIAL OEM UPGRADE Sets.)

This UPGRADE method has been in practice for several years and is still 100% functional in Windows 7.  Many sites say this is ILLEGAL but MS posted this info to Beta Testers many yrs ago.  Sample back in 2000 - instructions were: Installing a Windows XP Pro or Home Upgrade CD without a Previous OS installed. 
Begin the windows install as if it was the full version, during the install you will be prompted for a previous operating system, at his point put your old operating system CD in the drive and browse to the I386 folder (for Windows NT or 2000), WIN9X folder (for Windows ME), or WIN98 folder (for Windows 98). Click ok, the windows upgrade will confirm this is a full version and continue with the upgrade (after you replace the upgrade disk). 

Not that I'm aware of on Activating with Orbit30 ULoader 8.0.  he has to get it installed first.  I also see then next question ask and not sure if the 1st solution.  bought OEM and failure to install after burn...  post by Blockie then he said he does not know who to mount.  Two every different methods and if the DOWNLOAD IS CRAP NOTHING WILL WORK. WHICH DOES HE REALLY WANT TO DO?