Author Topic: Windows 8 Takes Your Settings to the Cloud  (Read 957 times)

Online javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
Windows 8 Takes Your Settings to the Cloud
« on: April 28, 2011, 06:18:41 PM »
A popular theme among Microsoft's Windows 7 commercials has been this idea of the cloud, and it appears the cloud will play an even more integral role in the next version of Windows. Some astute beta testers have found settings called "Roaming Options" in the User Accounts settings of Windows 8.

While I don't have a copy of this beta build in hand, this is what I'm gathering: these settings would be sent to the cloud and would be retrievable on a friend's computer or on another device.

The word "device" is used in the settings description, which would lead me to believe Microsoft might be angling to provide a more seamless experience between Windows PCs and Windows Phone with minimal work on the user's end.

Windows 8 will apparently put personalization, accessibility, language, application, and system settings on the cloud, as well as credential information. This means you could walk up to a friend's computer, obtain your desktop profile from the cloud, and it would essentially be like being in front of your home computer. Pretty neat if you ask me!

One more cool feature? Windows will give you the option to kill this functionality when either on a paid network or one that has low bandwidth. I'm not sure how it may be able to discern this, but this could be vital for those of us increasingly on mobile connections and subject to those hated bandwidth caps.