Author Topic: Kingston Announces 40GB SSD Desktop Upgrade Kit  (Read 1403 times)

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
Kingston Announces 40GB SSD Desktop Upgrade Kit
« on: October 26, 2009, 06:22:33 PM »

We just got our hands on a new product Kingston is announcing today, targeted at PC owners in the market for a relatively inexpensive SSD upgrade to boost system performance.

Kingston is marketing the new 40GB Desktop Upgrade Kit as a performance upgrade for existing system owners hindered by the performance of their spinning hard drives. Instead of offering a high-capacity SSD as part of the kit, however, Kingston went with an Intel-built, Kingston branded, low-capacity SSD. A representative from Kingston contended that SSDs were considered a performance upgrades by most PC enthusiasts, and not storage / capacity upgrades. As such, the Kingston 40GB Desktop Upgrade Kit is designed to replace a boot drive and host only the OS and perhaps the user's most commonly used applications, while complimented by a larger capacity drive for bulk storage.

The 40GB Desktop Upgrade Kit includes a 2.5" 40GB SATA SSD, a 4-pin Molex-to-SATA power adapter, a SATA cable, and a disc complete with drive cloning software to facilitate migration from one drive to another. Although this video wasn't produced with the Kingston 40GB Desktop Upgrade Kit in mind, we're posting it here to show one way to migrate data from one drive to another, when upgrading to an SSD.

Kingston's 40GB Desktop Upgrade Kit will be available the week of November 9 and carried an MSRP of $130. A more affordable stand-alone drive will also be offered for an MSRP of $115. We are told, however, that with rebates, the kit may be had for as low as $85, which would make it a great companion to that copy of Windows 7 you were thinking of picking up.

More information about the Kingston 40GB Desktop Upgrade Kit is available in the full press release, posted below...

Kingston SSDNow 40GB Boot Drive Features and Specifications:

* Sequential Speed***: up to 170MB/sec. read and 40MB/sec. write

* Performance: enhances productivity; makes users more efficient

* Innovative: 2.5" form factor; uses NAND Flash memory components

* Silent: runs silent and cool with no moving parts

* Reliable: less likely to fail than a standard hard drive

* Shock Resistant: no moving parts; handles rougher conditions than a hard drive

* Supports S.M.A.R.T.: Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology

* Guaranteed: three-year Kingston warranty, 24/7 tech support

* Capacity: 40GB

* Storage temperatures: -40° C to 85° C

* Operating temperatures: 0° C to 70° C

* Vibration operating: 2.17G (7-800Hz)

* Vibration non-operating: 20G (20-2000Hz)

* Power specs: Active: 0.15W (TYP); Sleep: 0.06W

* Life expectancy: 1 million hours MTBF (MTBF numbers represent a statistical approximation of how long a set of devices should last before failure.)

For larger more detailed pictures click on these links.

Offline Jake

Re: Kingston Announces 40GB SSD Desktop Upgrade Kit
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 09:45:41 PM »
Sounds like a great drive but 40GB doesn't seem like much.  I'd probably keep the old drive around for all my files and edit the registry to move the user folder to the old drive.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 10:55:30 PM »

The whole idea behind this is for your OS w/ Updates and Programs.  Everything goes on the old hard drive as a Data Drive.  However I agree it could be larger, however this is the first reasonably priced step in the direction of larger SSD's.

Offline anykey

• in the leafy suburbs of sarf west London
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 12:12:45 AM »
I want one.
Please.
Caesar adsum jam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic inat.