Author Topic: Intel leaks a Core i5 MacBook Pro then tries to take it back  (Read 563 times)

Offline riso

• Administrator
  • Beta tester Tech support dedicated 110%
    • windows 10 news and info | Forum - Blog
Intel leaks a Core i5 MacBook Pro then tries to take it back
« on: January 15, 2010, 07:17:54 AM »
In what’s been later played down as a marketing oversight, Intel has likely leaked an upcoming Core i5-based MacBook Pro upgrade. The semiconductor giant has inadvertently hinted at a rumored MacBook Pro upgrade sporting the latest Core i5 processor in its email message sent to the members of the Retail Edge program worldwide. AppleInsider first noticed that the email communication featured the following promotinal blurb:

January Prize Draw: Win a MacBook Pro. Pass this month’s trainings for 2 chances to win one of 2 MacBook Pro laptops with the accelerated response of an Intel Core i5 processor.

As you know, the Cupertino firm hates when anyone leaks its products, especially partners. A follow-up AppleInsider post revealed Intel backtracking with a new email message that tried to dismiss the leak as a marketing error, offering the following apology:

In our previous communications about the January prize draw, we got the processor right, but not the computer. When you pass this month’s trainings, you’ll be automatically eligible for 2 chances to win 1 of 2 HP ENVY laptops with the accelerated response of an Intel Core i5 processor. We apologize for any confusion.

Intel debuted Apple-bound Core i5 processors a week ago at the CES 2010 in Las Vegas. The announcement included the entire 2010 family of the Arrandale-built 35nm Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7 chips offered in multiple versions and price points. The new chips employ a 32nm Westmere (version of the Nehalem microarchitecture) dual-core die and a 45nm chipset combining the memory controller, integrated graphics, DMI links, and PCI Express for external graphics.

Intel said the new Arrandale processors have better performance across the board, faster graphics, and lower power consumption than the Core 2 Duo chips. Those claims have been verified by a number of reviews: Tom’s Hardware, PC Magazine, Hot Hardware, AnandTech, PC Perspective, and Legit Reviews.

Apple’s current MacBook lineup runs Intel’s previous line of Core 2 Duo processors. It’s unknown when Apple plans to upgrade MacBooks to the Arrandale platform, but a rumored January 27 event at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco seems like the right venue because it should be focused on all things mobile. A MacBook refresh should include a Core i5 upgrade.

The graphics, however, remains a mystery considering the current MacBook lineup runs Nvidia’s 9400/9600 GPUs, in addition to Nvidia’s northbridge chipset. Apple has been reportedly unhappy with the performance of the Arrandale integrated graphics and is allegedly demanding a special SKU without the integrated graphics part, meaning upgraded  MacBooks might run Nvidia graphics rather than Intel’s.