Author Topic: Apple bike computer patent surfaces  (Read 766 times)

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
Apple bike computer patent surfaces
« on: August 08, 2010, 01:06:31 AM »
My Polar CS200 bicycle computer is one of the few standalone gizmos my iPhone hasn't replaced yet. Hooked up wirelessly to sensors on my bike and a chest strap, the CS200 gives me data on speed, cadence, distance, pace, and heart rate during my daily rides. My current bike computer gets the job done, but I've often wished for a fuller-featured solution, especially since Polar's computers aren't able to sync with Macs without using third-party software, some of which is pretty expensive.

Patently Apple has just discovered a 2009 Apple patent which would turn an iPhone or iPod into the bike computer of my dreams. The patent shows an iPod (amusingly, the third-gen "fat nano") standing in for a bike computer and accepting the same sort of data as my current Polar computer, like speed, cadence, heart rate, and so on. But the patent also shows much more interesting features like turn-by-turn GPS, gear settings, and sharing options that would allow cyclists to communicate with one another in ways not possible with the current crop of bike computers.

It's the sharing options that are the most innovative, and they basically come across as Nike+ for bikes. With routes mapped via GPS and riding characteristics recorded via the bike's sensors, this iPod/bike pairing could allow riders to share realtime data on their rides, assign ratings to trails, and even form riding groups based on compatible fitness levels.

Some of these features are already available in limited form in iOS apps. Runkeeper is what I've been using, as it lets me record bike routes complete with speed and elevation data, and I can share those results with others -- but only after the ride's over. Integrating an iPhone or iPod with a bike's sensors and being able to provide realtime data to other cyclists is a step above anything else I've seen in this field. Not all of Apple's patents wind up as marketed devices, but I certainly hope this one does.

more relating to this patent:

Apple Researching Methods to Turn iPhone Into Feature-Rich Bike Computer

Patently Apple reports on an Apple patent application published today that describes Apple's vision for using the iPhone, iPod, or other electronic device as an interface for a multi-feature bicycle computer. While current bike computers are typically limited primarily to such data as speed, distance, and cadence with the possibility for integration of other devices such as heart rate monitors, Apple's plans reveal a much broader scope to incorporate such features as GPS routing, communications between multiple riders within a group, weather recording, and gear settings.

The premise is rather like Apple's Nike + iPod system for runners except for cyclists. While the system is for individuals, it's also designed to work with teams of cyclists so that they could communicate with each other on-the-fly about course difficulty or perceived problems. The Bicycle system monitors speed, distance, time, altitude, elevation, incline, decline, heart rate, power, derailleur setting, cadence, wind speed, path completed, expected future path, heart rate, power, and pace. The system could utilize various sensors built-into the iPhone in addition to working with sensors already built-into the bike itself. Apple's patent is extraordinarily detailed and packed with interesting twists that the sporting cyclist will really appreciate.

Communications systems built into the package could allow potential riders to share their riding characteristics others to assist in forming riding groups while also allowing those on a team to view data on other riders. Riders could also communicate with each other via various methods, as well as with outside parties.

Riders can also offer ratings and feedback on potential routes to other riders, with data on their riding characteristics offering a basis for assessing riders' perspective when making ratings and recommendations.

Mapping capabilities could offer riders a wide variety of perspectives and data, including topographic information and landmarks. Turn-by-turn directions could also be transmitted to assist riders with following a pre-determined route.

As always, Apple's patent applications are not necessarily reflective of products it intends to bring to the market, but they do provide some insight into projects the company is thinking about and how they might relate to future device plans.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 02:31:52 AM by javajolt »

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
iPod Touch Taken for a Ride With New Apple Smart Bike
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 05:40:23 PM »

Apple, a company that has introduced a lengthy series of must-have technological gadgets, will try and expand its repertoire even further by producing a "smart bike".

The company has applied for a patent for their idea of a smart bicycle that lets its rider monitor the full range of appropriate statistics for their cycling journey: speed, distance travelled, heart rate, acceleration, wind speed and a whole host of informative extras to let users get analytical about their cycling. In this regard, the smart bike concept is not unlike Apple’s Nike and iPod collaboration that links a pair of Nike trainers to an iPod Touch or Nano via an app to monitor a similar set of vital statistics for runners.

Another similarity between the products is that the smart bike would require an iPod Touch or iPhone to operate its impressive array of sensors that analyse the cyclist’s progress. To serious cyclists, the prospect of a computerised bike is not so novel, since attachable kits are already available. However, the novelty factor is the ability that users would have to share the data recorded by their smart bike with other smart bike users.

At present we don’t have all the details of how the sensors would be installed or whether the iPod Touch or iPhone display would be coupled with an armband or simply mounted on the handlebars.

The more intriguing question than how the basic concept would be fleshed out is how does a smart bike fit Apple’s broader business strategy? Is it an extension of their mobile marketing goals to highlight the iPhone’s broad range of uses, or an indication of a more fundamental change of Apple’s direction?

Apple has already shown that it is not afraid to try to be diverse and tap into other markets, but cycling products are remarkably niche compared to Apple’s usual fare. However, the inevitable hype that is generated by the anticipated release of a new Apple product through online advertising and social media should set the wheels in motion for a successful reception.