Author Topic: Windows Explorer - Repeated Crashes  (Read 1872 times)

Offline incurablegeek

Windows Explorer - Repeated Crashes
« on: August 25, 2010, 05:44:34 PM »
I have been using Win 7 for almost a year now, with very few glitches. Now, literally every nanosecond, Explorer Crashes (do I want to restart it).

The only new variables in my Win 7 usage:

1) Installed latest Java (Java 6 I believe)
2) Installed Purchased Versions of the following:

A) Fences Pro
B) Crystal Desktop
D) Display Fusion

Note: All above are "mission critical" if you use multiple monitors, work on multiple projects simultaneously (Us Smart Ducks Do Dat) and don't enjoy chaos.

Anyone out there with the same problem - and hopefully a solution?  :-\

Offline incurablegeek

Re: Windows Explorer - Repeated Crashes
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 06:44:33 PM »
Easy fix: Ditch Java!

Offline richardthevet

Re: Windows Explorer - Repeated Crashes
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 01:00:49 AM »
Hi, I had the same problem. Disabling the shell extensions for 3rd party programs helps, especially Adobe Reader. Use ShellExview to do this on the admin account.

The complete resolution is to disable Windows Search service (use services.msc), and also change the registry settings for Superfetch. The registry path is HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\session manager\memory management\prefetchparameters. Change the EnableSuperfetch key to 0. Don't stop the Superfetch service (I think it is necessary for Prefetch to work). Reboot. Give it 24 hours to sort itself out as you use the PC. Mine is as fast as before but without the explorer hangs and crashes. Probably because the system is doing what you want when you want, and no longer updating the search index and stuffing the RAM full of anticipated programs....

Install Locate32 to replace Search - very very fast searching, but not for file content, but suits me fine.  ::)

Richard Happy Vet