Author Topic: Any Advantage Using Home Premium over Ultimate?  (Read 1219 times)

Offline ukgovsucks

Any Advantage Using Home Premium over Ultimate?
« on: September 25, 2009, 01:42:14 AM »
Sounds a funny question, but basically I've been running Windows 7 Ultimate now (all builds up to RTM) for some time. I'm currently running RTM using the Slic activation method. Now my purchased two copies of Windows 7 Home Premium Edition will pop through my letterbox on 26th October. So what do I do? Do I keep Ultimate on for a while longer to tinker with, or shall I just stop messing about and get it wiped and put on the bought Home Premium? I have read other posts with people saying that there is some sort of benefit in not having the extra features of Ultimate installed on your system if you don't need them. Almost saying that things will run better using Home Premium?

What would you all do in my situation? If you don't need those extra few features in Ultimate, would it be better to use Home Premium?

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
Re: Any Advantage Using Home Premium over Ultimate?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 03:30:30 AM »

If I did not need or use any of the extras included in the Ultimate version, I would without a doubt install Home Premium.  Since it is lacking the added features it should boot faster, run faster, and shut down faster.

Offline ukgovsucks

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 10:15:27 AM »

If I did not need or use any of the extras included in the Ultimate version, I would without a doubt install Home Premium.  Since it is lacking the added features it should boot faster, run faster, and shut down faster.

Thanks for that mate.
Ultimate will now be removed next month then!
One other thing. I currently use the 64bit version of Windows 7. Would I see much difference if I went to 32bit? I know that it's not supposed to see the memory over 3.25Gb, but I do have software that unlocks that restriction and allows the OS to use all the memory available. I have tried this before when I tried one of the 32bit RC builds and it seemed to do the job.

Offline riso

• Administrator
  • Beta tester Tech support dedicated 110%
    • windows 10 news and info | Forum - Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 11:10:14 AM »
Just use Home Premium x86 32bit it works fine.

There's no need to run x64 unless you use a lot prog's specially written to run on x64

riso
Teh support

Offline ukgovsucks

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 02:59:55 PM »
Just use Home Premium x86 32bit it works fine.

There's no need to run x64 unless you use a lot prog's specially written to run on x64

riso
Teh support

Thanks Riso.
Mmmm.. I may just give that a go. See how it works. Do you think that 32bit Windows 7 runs faster than 32bit XP? I always found XP wasn't that fast, or at least not after a period of time anyway.

Offline riso

• Administrator
  • Beta tester Tech support dedicated 110%
    • windows 10 news and info | Forum - Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 03:26:40 PM »
Some tests showed us: Windows 7 beats Vista and Xp so it has for sure more speed!
Tested Build 7600Rtm.
Conclusion:
Windows 7 performs better than Vista and is also faster than XP, although XP remains more capable for devices with limited memory and outdated graphics.

Subjectively, the change from Vista to Windows 7 is like releasing a car's handbrake. This significant increase in performance has several causes: faster system start-up and shutdown compared to XP and Vista, improved parallel processing and faster loading of drivers and operating system components. Enterprise users will also appreciate the faster log-in to a domain.

Microsoft has also thoroughly revised the SuperFetch feature, which results in quicker operational readiness after start-up. Anyone migrating from Vista will notice a reduction in disk activity after start-up, because SuperFetch spends less time loading applications into memory in Windows 7, which means less waiting for the system to be ready to use after launch.

Windows 7 is more cache-frugal thanks to improved display drivers. No matter how many windows are open, the memory usage of the Desktop Window Manager (DWM) remains constant, the video card's memory taking on the load of opening of additional windows. Under Windows 7, however, this load is half what it was with Vista. Windows 7 also introduces Direct2D, which further speeds up 2D graphics rendering. Though, the standard WDDM 1.1 driver is required to enjoy the improved 2D graphics performance. For graphics cards containing ATI and Nvidia chips, this is not an issue, since a driver has existed for a long time, but these drivers are not yet available for older Intel graphics chipsets.

Users can employ the built-in Windows 7 DirectX 11 interface to access the graphics power of the GPU (Compute Shader) using appropriate graphics hardware. This feature could prove particularly useful to those who provide video-encoding tools, although there are still no third-party products that support this new standard.

In Windows 7, Microsoft has succeeded in providing an OS that's likely to meet the performance requirements of consumers and business users alike. The early signs are that Windows 7 will enjoy a much better take-up than Vista. Of our three test platforms, only the low-end Intel Atom-based system is not really suitable for Windows 7. But even a single-core processor such as a 1.4GHz Core 2 Solo is sufficient to deliver smooth performance under Windows 7. High-end systems with quad-core processors also benefit from Windows 7, because many of the operating system functions exploit the computing power of multi-core chips.

Offline ukgovsucks

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 06:19:43 PM »
Some tests showed us: Windows 7 beats Vista and Xp so it has for sure more speed!
Tested Build 7600Rtm.
Conclusion:
Windows 7 performs better than Vista and is also faster than XP, although XP remains more capable for devices with limited memory and outdated graphics.

Subjectively, the change from Vista to Windows 7 is like releasing a car's handbrake. This significant increase in performance has several causes: faster system start-up and shutdown compared to XP and Vista, improved parallel processing and faster loading of drivers and operating system components. Enterprise users will also appreciate the faster log-in to a domain.

Microsoft has also thoroughly revised the SuperFetch feature, which results in quicker operational readiness after start-up. Anyone migrating from Vista will notice a reduction in disk activity after start-up, because SuperFetch spends less time loading applications into memory in Windows 7, which means less waiting for the system to be ready to use after launch.

Windows 7 is more cache-frugal thanks to improved display drivers. No matter how many windows are open, the memory usage of the Desktop Window Manager (DWM) remains constant, the video card's memory taking on the load of opening of additional windows. Under Windows 7, however, this load is half what it was with Vista. Windows 7 also introduces Direct2D, which further speeds up 2D graphics rendering. Though, the standard WDDM 1.1 driver is required to enjoy the improved 2D graphics performance. For graphics cards containing ATI and Nvidia chips, this is not an issue, since a driver has existed for a long time, but these drivers are not yet available for older Intel graphics chipsets.

Users can employ the built-in Windows 7 DirectX 11 interface to access the graphics power of the GPU (Compute Shader) using appropriate graphics hardware. This feature could prove particularly useful to those who provide video-encoding tools, although there are still no third-party products that support this new standard.

In Windows 7, Microsoft has succeeded in providing an OS that's likely to meet the performance requirements of consumers and business users alike. The early signs are that Windows 7 will enjoy a much better take-up than Vista. Of our three test platforms, only the low-end Intel Atom-based system is not really suitable for Windows 7. But even a single-core processor such as a 1.4GHz Core 2 Solo is sufficient to deliver smooth performance under Windows 7. High-end systems with quad-core processors also benefit from Windows 7, because many of the operating system functions exploit the computing power of multi-core chips.

Wow! Talk about a superb response to my questions!!  :o
Thanks for that info mate. Much appreciated.
Damn I love Windows 7.

Offline ukgovsucks

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 12:30:40 PM »
Just testing Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit on a spare 250Gb Maxtor hard drive.
First impressions compared with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit...

No noticeable difference in speed. Possibly quicker booting up and shutting down.
Latest beta build of Newsleecher seems to run okay now, where as previously it used to freeze for a minute or two before I could use it.
Adobe Photoshop Elements v5 now loads pictures instantly into the Editor, previously took approx 5 seconds.

More software is being tested as I speak.
Must admit, looking good so far. I have actually applied a patch that allows it to use all memory available rather than 3.5Gb, which is what normally happens with 32bit Windows. The results above however are without that patch applied. (option on boot up)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 12:59:45 PM by ukgovsucks »

Offline Sorry~

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 08:07:30 PM »
Thanks for this post and the informations, I was wondering if the premium was as fast as Ultimate :)

Offline Jake

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 08:11:22 PM »
Thanks for this post and the informations, I was wondering if the premium was as fast as Ultimate :)

All editions are fast, the only variations are the feature sets as explained above, so choose whats best for you.  You'll certainly get great performance from any version of Windows 7.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Offline ukgovsucks

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 02:09:11 AM »

To be honest mate, I've installed and run more software now, and I have yet to see anything that would put me off installing Home Premium 32bit next month. It runs like a dream.

I have now added Dreamscenes to it, along with Avast, Winamp, Xplorer2, Thunderbird, OpenOffice and more! Games wise, I have only installed 2 so far. They are Command & Conquer The First Decade and Rollercoaster Tycoon 3. Both run as perfect as when they were on the 64bit Ultimate.

Very happy with Windows 7 at the moment. Well done Microsoft.  ;)