Author Topic: Intel 80 GB X25M SSD and Need for RamDisk?  (Read 2507 times)

Offline incurablegeek

Intel 80 GB X25M SSD and Need for RamDisk?
« on: October 04, 2010, 03:50:07 AM »
My new SSD just arrived and like most pedants I am trying to reduce the number of write cycles to the SSD.  Along those lines, I have two obvious (to most) recommended sources of info:

1) http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/supertweaks.htm#eight (Thanks to JavaJolt for that intro.)
2) http://www.anandtech.com/ - Best explanation of SSD Gen2's on the net (IMOP)
3) OCN - overclock.net - tons of threads on SSD's (careful of their site protocol though)

Although I have read and digested much this past week, I am trying to squeeze the most out of my X25M  80 GB SSD.  So what do you guys think about RamDisk?

1) Is RamDisk just one more complication or is it worth using?
2) If you think it is worth using, what components of Win 7 64 bit and which Programs could benefit?

Important Notes:  I have an AMD Phenom II - 6 core and 8 GB (only) of DDR-3 RAM.  Also, not a gamer (though games do not benefit from SSD installation anyway).

Suggestions or opinions anyone?  :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 04:10:23 AM by incurablegeek »

Offline Snuffy

Re: Intel 80 GB X25M SSD and Need for RamDisk?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 06:27:05 PM »
M$ answer to RAMDISK.
This sample demonstrates how to write a PnP software-only function driver using Windows Driver Framework. This driver creates a RAM disk drive of the specified size. This Ramdisk can be used like any other disk, but the contents of the disk will be lost when the machine is shutdown. Generally the Windows cache manager does a much better job of optimizing memory usage than using a Ramdisk.

If you use Chrome Browser.
Aug 5, 2010 ... Here is the quick solution: change Chrome's cache directory to another location (i.e. non-ssd harddrive, ramdisk.)
The only STUPID Question is the one you never asked.

Offline incurablegeek

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 03:59:26 AM »
Yeh, Snuffy, that's pretty much what other knowledgeable people are saying on some other boards.  Basically,

1) Unless you have major tonnage of RAM, RAMDisk is not worth it.
2) RAMDisk is just not worth the headaches anyway.

Thanks!

Offline incurablegeek

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 11:21:10 PM »
This Ramdisk can be used like any other disk, but the contents of the disk will be lost when the machine is shutdown.

That does not need to be so. Lifted straight out of my notes is the following:

What we do here is create a profile on your ramdisk, then make a batch file which will zip up the profile when you exit Firefox and then store the zip file on your SSD. When you re-open Firefox, the batch file will auto-unzip the profile and put it back on your ram disk.

NOTE: 7zip is a prerequisite!

From my reading SuperSpeed RAMDisk Plus is the drug of choice.

Source:  OZTechnology
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 02:37:52 AM by javajolt »