Author Topic: Best MultiCore CPU Temp Monitor?  (Read 1009 times)

Offline incurablegeek

Best MultiCore CPU Temp Monitor?
« on: October 11, 2010, 03:32:18 PM »

I have read that RealTemp and SpeedFan can give spurious readings on multicore processors. 

Is there a slam-dunk default alternative that is the most reliable?

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
Re: Best MultiCore CPU Temp Monitor?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 06:27:37 PM »

Knowing the limits of your particular processor you will/should know your machine is within the prescribed limits of the manufacture. Constant precise readings will/would be difficult to come by since, when in use each core processor is being used in different ways.

All CPU/Temp monitors I have seen over the years are a guide and a calculated estimate and should be relied on as such.

Offline incurablegeek

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 08:10:22 PM »

Interesting note: I had a computer in China that, without liquid cooling, I "somewhat" overclocked. Just a single core but the temp was running at close to the boiling point of water. No exaggeration. A CS instructor assured me that I could not burn up an Intel processor.  Well, I didn't but the sucker was sure the answer to the cold Beijing winters!

What I do know is that temp monitors simply interface with the BIOS temp gauge. Is there one that does so more accurately than the two I mentioned?  Note: The number of cores in action does not really matter since I am interested in overall CPU temp. 

And please don't worry about me overclocking my multi-cores too much cause there are limits on one's ability to do so.  For example, optimal overclocking of a 3.2 GHz. 6-core would be 3.6-3.8 GHz. only.

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 09:20:34 PM »
frying a processor is very unlikely as they have a protective mechanism in them that turns of the computer when they reach that point.

you can usually adjust the temp at which the system shuts down but this is not advisable.  i never can understand overclocking a system which only shortens the life of that system.  if a persons wants more cpu power, then buy a newer system which is going to happen sooner than later by overclocking.

however i do like it when this happens because if they call me i usually end up with their wallet in my pocket and not in theirs.

as far as the cpu monitor i doubt serious if you will find on as accurate as what i can only imagine you're look for.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 09:22:01 PM by javajolt »