Author Topic: ARM introduces 2nd generation Mali T600 graphics  (Read 541 times)

Online javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
ARM introduces 2nd generation Mali T600 graphics
« on: August 07, 2012, 04:50:12 AM »
Chip designer ARM is updating its Mali T600 graphics processing unit with three new designs aimed at smartphones, television sets, and tablets.

These next-generation Mali T600 series chip designs feature energy efficiency improvements over current designs, while offering a 50 percent performance boost over earlier Mali T600 designs such as the Mali T604 and Mali T658 (neither of which are shipping in any products that I’m aware of yet).

Here’s an overview of the new designs:

• Mali T624: 1-4 processor cores, aimed at smartphones or smart televisions

• Mali T628: Up to 8 processor cores, designed for phones or TVs

• Mali T678: Highest performance Mali T600 chip, with up to 4 times the performance of the T624, aimed at tablets

All three new chips also feature support for ARM’s new Adaptive Scalable Texture Compression codec.

Chip makers can license the new graphics technology for use in upcoming ARM-based processors.

While it could be a little while before we see phones, tablets, or TVs shipping with next-generation Mali T600 series graphics, chip makers including Samsung, Rockchip, and MediaTek all had nice things to say about the platform in ARM’s press release. So I wouldn’t be surprised to see those companies release products featuring the next-gen graphics technology eventually.

via Engadget and SlashGear