Author Topic: Upgrading from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Premium  (Read 1687 times)

Offline VIP2006

Upgrading from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Premium
« on: February 04, 2010, 08:36:21 PM »
Just prior to the launch of Win 7 I purchased a Sony VGC-LN2M computer with Vista Home Premium preinstalled, although in with the deal was a free upgrade to Win7 Premium. which arrived from Sony associates after I had paid £20 for the upgrade. OK, I accepted that "free"upgrade and got on with the installation, after going through using microsofts W7 advisory programme. The computer had a 500Gb HDD installed with very little of it used when on the Vista OS. but after the upgrade the HDD was left with less than 250GB remaining free. Does Win7 use approx 250GB for its OS, or has the drive still have the vista files on board, and do I need them, and if not how do I safely delete them
Regards
Fred

Offline Jake

Re: Upgrading from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Premium
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 10:59:38 PM »
The install process should have copied and dumped the entire contents of your drive into a folder, and left it on your drive (it will be labeled Windows.old or something similar).  Browse through it to see if there are any files you still want (documents, pictures, etc.) save them in another location, and delete the folder.  It should free up a significant amount of space.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1