Author Topic: 10 things to do after you upgrade to Windows 10  (Read 266 times)

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
10 things to do after you upgrade to Windows 10
« on: August 02, 2015, 11:20:13 PM »
So you have upgraded to Windows 10. That is great! There are a few things you may want to do now. This post will tell you the some important settings you need to take a look at & things you need to do after you upgrade to Windows 10.

Things to do after you upgrade to Windows 10

1] Check for Updates

Once the upgrade process is completed, I suggest you open the Start Menu and click on Settings to open the Settings app. Next click on Update and Security. Here under Windows Update, click on Check for updates button. There may be more updates – especially some new features device drivers that your system may want to download.

Let the download and installation complete and then restart you computer. Wait for a while and let all the system processes complete their job and settle down. Again open Windows Update settings. Ensure that you are not set to get Insider Builds. Also decide if you want to Defer Updates.

2] Take additional actions

Check the Notifications and Action Center. See if there are pending things you need to complete. Click on them for more details.

3] Is your antivirus software running?

Check if your security software is activated and working. My third-party security suite, along with a few other software, was deactivated. I had to reinstall them. If you use the built-in Windows Defender, you may need to configure Windows Defender settings, update it manually the first time and run a full-scan.

4] Manage Wi-Fi Sense

You need to check your Wi-Fi Sense settings. Wi-Fi Sense is a feature in Windows 10 that allows you to connect to your friends shared Wi-Fi connections. You can manage your Wi-Fi settings and decide whom the Wi-Fi details should be shared with, or you may turn off Wi-Fi Sense completely. I have turned it off, as I have no interest in sharing my Wi-Fi network details with my Facebook, Outlook.com or Skype contacts.

5] Personalize Windows 10

Personalize your Windows 10 experience. Especially set the Colors settings via Settings app > Personalization > Colors. Customise the Windows 10 Start menu to suit your requirements. You may want to personalize a few more things too.

Make File Explorer open to This PC instead of Quick Access, if you wish to. Install or move Windows 10 Apps to another Drive. As of date, this feature has been deferred for a later time, so it may not be available currently.  Set Sign-in options. Sign in securely using PIN. Set up a PIN. Set the quick links you want to appear in the Start Menu using the Personalization app.

Unpin programs from the taskbar or Start Menu that you don’t need, and add your favorite one’s there.

6] Set default programs and browser

Don’t like using the built-in default apps or programs? Change default programs. You may want to set your default browser, change the default media player or any other program.

7] Tweak Microsoft Edge

Take a look at Microsoft Edge. Import you browser bookmarks and favorites into Edge browser. Change your home page, Change your default search engine if you wish. These Edge browser tips and tricks will help you get the best out of Microsoft Edge.

8] Set your Search bar settings

Do you want to make the Search Bar smaller and create more space on the taskbar? Right-click on the taskbar > Search > Show icon only. Do you want to taskbar search to search locally the computer only and not the web? Turn of web search in that case.

9] Cortana settings

Set up Cortana, your personal digital assistant. If you don’t plan to use it, disable Cortana.

10] Use the Battery Saver Mode

Make Windows 10 battery last longer. Use the new Battery Saver mode. When, activated, the feature conserves battery life by limiting the background activity and adjusting the hardware settings.

twc