Author Topic: Windows 10 upgrading problems, stuck in time  (Read 354 times)

Online riso

• Administrator
  • Beta tester Tech support dedicated 110%
    • windows 10 news and info | Forum - Blog
Windows 10 upgrading problems, stuck in time
« on: October 11, 2015, 02:11:50 PM »
Originally published October 9, 2015 at 3:26 pm

Q: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and it is the worst thing I have done. After the installation, nothing works. My printers, both USB-connected and wireless, do not work. My speakers work but at a very low volume that I can’t hear.

After researching for the cause/solution this is what I found.

1. HP printers purchased before August 2013 do not have drivers for Windows 10.

2. Sound for Dell Studio XPS does not work because there are no drivers from Dell.

3. All previous Windows games did not reinstall.

4. Previous programs that ran on Windows 7 don’t work or did not get transferred over to Windows 10.

These are just some of the problems that have shown up since upgrading. In my opinion Microsoft should have published an article that stated that certain programs and/or equipment would not work with Windows 10.

— Anonymous

A: Actually, Microsoft did publish an FAQ about compatibility. You can find it here: windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/compatibility-report-windows-10.

As part of the upgrade process, Microsoft offers a “Check your PC” utility that will check whether your computer is capable of running Windows 10. That utility will also advise you whether connected (and turned on) devices are not currently compatible with Windows 10.

And, yes, many older computers and devices are not compatible with Windows 10. Fortunately, Windows 7 and 8 are being supported for five more years.

Frankly, if a new operating system was designed to accommodate all older applications and devices, it would really hinder improvements.

So it’s a fine line vendors face when deciding which devices to keep compatible. And it’s not just Microsoft that makes the decisions. Device manufacturers decide whether to upgrade the software for their devices to maintain compatibility with the new version of Windows.

Q: I have a Compaq desktop. When I start up, the date and time is in 2008 and I have to set to Internet time on each startup. Any suggestions?

— Lance

A: Sounds like the lithium battery on the motherboard is out of juice. The battery provides the power to retain configuration information, including date and time, when your computer is turned off. Replace that battery and you should be in business.

Q: Any suggestions on retrieving data from a 3.5 disk? It’s only one Word document that I’d like to look at, but it’s family info that I’d love to have back. Do you have recommendations on free software or local businesses that won’t charge an arm and a leg?

I have an older hard drive so am able to plug in the floppy, but the message “needs to be formatted” comes up. I’m hesitant to say “Yes” knowing that that might not be the issue.

— Kevin Todd

A: I’m a bit concerned that you have an appropriate drive but it isn’t recognizing the floppy as being formatted. That would indicate that either the drive is not working properly or the floppy has been corrupted.

You could try another 3.5-inch floppy drive. It’s available for sale online for under $20.

Or you could simply send the disk to a service bureau that will transfer files from your floppy disks to a USB flash drive. Retrofloppy.com and Floppydisk.com, for example, offer such services. (I haven’t used either service, so I can’t vouch for them.) Of course, if that floppy is corrupt, the service may not be able to retrieve the data.

If the floppy is corrupt, some service bureaus have tools that may allow them to recover some or all of the data.

Source: seattletimes.com