Author Topic: Details on the Windows 7 Small Business Ignite Program  (Read 581 times)

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
Details on the Windows 7 Small Business Ignite Program
« on: March 11, 2009, 07:32:20 AM »
The Windows 7 Small Business Ignite Program, which helps small businesses try out Windows 7, recently began. Will there be a Windows 7 Small Business edition  updated March 10, 2009 1:45 PM CT

Back in November, 2008 when everyone was still speculating about what Windows 7 editions were coming down the pipeline, one morsel of information that we found was a mention of a "Windows 7 for Small Business (future)" in a job posting for a marketing manager.

Once the six Windows 7 SKUs were revealed last month, it was clear that there was nothing named Business, let alone Small Business. However, CRN now has a story on Microsoft quietly unveiling the Windows 7 Small Business Ignite Program last week, which is probably what the previous tidbit was referring to.

The program in question aims to convince small businesses that Windows 7 is more than just Vista 2.0 by giving them the opportunity to test out the Windows 7 Beta with guidance from Microsoft channel partners. While the general consensus on the Internet is that Windows 7 beta is easily the best beta operating system Microsoft has ever released, businesses are a lot harder to sway than consumers, especially given the cutting-cost switch that has been flipped due to the economic downturn.

Most businesses are happy with their current operating system, be that Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista. By starting the promotion of its operating system early, which again is only really possible due to how stable the beta was, Microsoft stands a better chance to change the perspective businesses have. I'm not ruling out a Small Business Windows 7 SKU, which would work if priced right, but at the same time, Microsoft is trying to streamline the SKU lineup for Windows 7, and yet another one wouldn't help. Will there be a Windows 7 Small Business editon? No, I really don't think so.