Author Topic: Brief Self-Introduction  (Read 863 times)

Offline incurablegeek

Brief Self-Introduction
« on: June 22, 2009, 08:10:15 PM »
My name is Dennis, from Nashville, TN and my handle is incurablegeek (incurablegeek@yahoo.com). Although I have been working with computers, not just using them, for about 20+ years, I still consider myself to be a newbie and therefore am more than willing to be corrected or disagreed with. That is the only way I will learn.

For all of my adult life I have been involved in the development of language education materials (English and Japanese), the English materials depending upon symbolic logic, Boolean Venn Diagrams, decision-tree logic, etc and consisting of 10 levels of interleaved learning from Elementary ESL through College Level English. Nothing of what I have developed resembles the rambling, discursive nonsense that rules the so-called "Language Arts" curricula. Sorry to be so prideful, but these materials represent a life's work of development, and 20,000+ hours of testing and refinement.

My computer equipment consists of an older 3 Ghz. Intel CPU, 2 GB of RAM, 200 GB Hard Drive, etc. It works but it is choking on the work that I am throwing at it, so I have added the following computer to the mix. Since 1992 I have "designed" and built all my computers - nothing off the shelf. Again prideful, so my apologies accordingly:

1)   ASUS M4A79 Deluxe Motherboard CPU Bundle - Socket AM2+, AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Black Edition Quad Core Processor

2)   Visiontek Radeon HD 3870 X2 Video Card - Overclocked Edition, 1GB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, CrossFireX Ready, (Dual Link) Quad DVI, HDTV, HDMI Support (Supports 4 monitors)

3)   Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (8 GB. RAM Total)

4)   Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200, 32MB, SATA-300, OEM (5 TB. total)

5)   Lite-ON IHAP322-08 DVD Burner - 22X DVD+R, 22X DVD-R, 8X DVD+R9, 8X DVD-R9, 12X DVD-RAM, 8X DVD+RW, 6X DVD-RW, 16X Read, 32X CD-RW, 48X Read, IDE
            (2 DVD burners)

6)   Acer X223Wbd 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor (Total 4 monitors)

7)   Ultra X3 ULT40311 1000-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, PCI-E Ready, Energy Efficient, Modular

8)     APC Back-UPS RS 1500VA LCD 120V Battery Backup

9)     Will run 64 bit Windows 7 RC - and am plenty scared of this Brave New World (Oh, but how I love being scared!)

From my brief association with this group and the super-courteous welcoming emails of Java Jolt and Riso, I fully understand that I am in over my head here. I like that. I have always tried to associate with people smarter and more knowledgeable than I. That is the only way I can learn and grow.

Therefore please feel free to shoot down any of my lame ideas, suggestions or questions. My ego is bulletproof; and I am fully capable of laughing at my fallibilities.

Btw, I do not flame, get sarcastic, or engage in pseudo-intellectual, convoluted syntax that results in an ad hominem attack. I do my best to conduct myself as a gentleman at all times, but am not just another PC (politically correct) guy and therefore can be pretty direct. In short, I am direct but follow the Golden Rule at all times.

Thank you for admitting me as a member. I am truly excited about interacting with all of you. Now let the games begin!

Regards,

Dennis (incurablegeek)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 03:26:12 AM by incurablegeek »