Author Topic: Seventh Version of Android Reportedly Called Ice Cream Sandwich  (Read 511 times)

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
Seventh Version of Android Reportedly Called Ice Cream Sandwich
« on: January 12, 2011, 07:15:58 PM »
Not Just Ice Cream

We had previously learned through a leak that the seventh iteration of the Android mobile platform would be called Ice Cream. Turns out that the build might actually be called Ice Cream Sandwich.

The information comes from TechCrunch‘s Jason Kincaid, who claims to have learned the details directly from Google Chief Android Architect Andy Rubin. Kincaid claims that Rubin revealed the name “in passing” as he spoke to him. Unfortunately, Kincaid does not provide the exact quote by Rubin.

The problem appears to be that if the next build of Android is named just Ice Cream, the corresponding sculpture will be way too similar to the existing Froyo sculpture — which represents Android 2.2 [Froyo]. By name the build Ice Cream Sandwich the sculpture can be different.
However, that seems to be a pretty lame excuse, in my humble opinion. There are so many way to differentiate an ice cream sculpture from that of Froyo [frozen yogurt]. For instance, the Ice Cream sculpture can feature one or more rounded scoops of ice cream on a small cone. To make it more realistic and to differentiate it from Froyo, the ice cream ball or balls should feature the familiar ‘feathering’ texture.

It’s that simple, really. I’m pretty sure individuals would not have a problem distinguishing the Froyo and Ice Cream sculptures.

Having said that, I do not think that a sculpture has anything to do with the naming. If it does, there’s a big problem then. Why would Google Inc. choose such a long name in favor of a sculpture? It just doesn’t make sense.

In the end, it doesn’t really matter. Even if Google names the build Ice Cream Sandwich, I’m more than sure that most individuals will end up calling it just Ice Cream due to the fact that Ice Cream Sandwich is way too long