Author Topic: Google's Schmidt Suggests Bing A Big Threat  (Read 422 times)

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
Google's Schmidt Suggests Bing A Big Threat
« on: September 24, 2010, 11:29:46 PM »

As a handful of commenters pointed out yesterday, I goofed when I suggested the "CTRL-ALT-DEL" button on the (possibly real) Hewlett-Packard Slate prototype's chassis was there only for the purposes of resetting--even though I hit that three-button combination every morning in order to login on my Windows 7-powered laptop.

In other news, Google CEO Eric Schmidt apparently told the Wall Street Journal that he considers little ol' Bing to be his company's greatest rival. That should make the Bing team happy, considering that Schmidt put them ahead of both Apple and Facebook in that regard. You can check out the original article (with a video 21½ mins) here.

Google and Bing have been trading body-blows over the past year, at least in terms of matching each others' newest features, but Google still retains a healthy market-share lead over its upstart rival. According to comScore, Google retained 65.4 percent of U.S. searches in August, versus Bing's 11.1 percent. However, Bing also powers Yahoo's backend search, meaning its overall share of the U.S. search market is closer to 30 percent.

That's not quite an existential threat to Google, but it essentially means that U.S. search is now a two-player game. Schmidt recognizes that.