Author Topic: Best Internet Security Software for Win 7  (Read 3369 times)

Offline Futsoc

Best Internet Security Software for Win 7
« on: August 17, 2009, 09:11:58 PM »
First of all, I would like to know if it's needed to have a complete Internet Security Software suite for Win7 or is it enough with just an Anti-virus software.

Second of all, what is the best Internet Security Software for Win7?

Third of all, what is the best Anti-virus Software for Win7?

Fourth of all, what are you guys using for Win7, today?

Offline Jake

Re: Best Internet Security Software for Win 7
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 05:51:27 AM »
Security suites are nice and all but you can achieve the same effect with some free software.  I just have the Windows Firewall with AVG 8.5 installed, and Spybot S&D.  For emergencies I use Malwarebytes.

Of course if you have 64bit you'll have a much harder time searching, I'm running a lot of 32bit test machines so I can't really vouch for any programs.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Offline zYb

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 08:46:33 AM »
I have always been a believer that you get what you pay for.

Whilst many people like and choose AVG Free, I have found in the past that it has let malware into systems running it. Perhaps the latest version has improved on that front, but I found it to be a resource hog on the machines I tested it on... Having said that, I use it on virtual machines as it's free and is at least some form of anti-malware protection.

I have personally used Kaspersky Internet Security for 4 years and would wholeheartedly recommend it. It's use of resources is moderate, it's easy to use and blocks everything out-of-the-box so to speak...

I have purchsed licenses for 7 machines in my house, most of my family and friends use it and now swear by it - including my father who refused to ditch AVG for some time... until I installed KIS and he saw how much more responsive his PC was... Licenses are cheap, 30% renewal discount every time I renew my license and if you have a valid license, then you are entitled to the latest version unlike other companies that charge you for the "2010" or "2011" version when it's released.

On the topic of whether or not its necessary to have an Internet Security suite versus plain old Antivirus, I would say you are probably OK with just AV as the Windows Firewall has been massively reworked and refined since the days of Windows XP... BUT, better get some form of AntiSpyware too if you're going this route!! (unless you get KIS) :D

I hope this helps in some way...

zYb

Offline sankar_45

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 12:20:19 PM »
Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) is not compatible with Windows 7. I was using it with Win XP. But it did not work with Win 7. Computer crashes. Kaspersky has come out with a beta software for Windows 7.

Till such time that Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) is made compatible with Windows 7 we can not use that.

So even after having a paid software (KIS), I am forced to use the free AVast anti Virus.

Offline zYb

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 01:22:33 PM »
Hi Sankar_45,

I have to tell you, i'm running Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 (and previously 2009) on 7 laptops and PCs in my home and i'm running Windows 7 Pro RTM.

Previous to this I have used multiple builds of KIS both 2009 and 2010 on almost every build of Win 7 that was leaked from pre-beta thru RTM... I have never had it crash, or, so much as a complaint from Windows Setup during the many upgrades and clean installs i've performed.

I DID on the other hand have a friend using KIS 7 on a Vista machine and that version is most certainly not compatible with Win 7... as he found when he tried to do an upgrade to Win 7 RTM..

If you need assistance with your KIS problem - please feel free to PM me and I will do my very best to help...

zYb

EDIT - Another interesting note is that Kaspersky were the very first Internet Security vendor to provide a fully compatible (Win7) beta version of their AV product all the way back in 2008... I can confirm that the FINAL version of 2010 version is fully Win7 compatible.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 01:24:42 PM by zYb »

Offline Futsoc

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 03:33:48 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input. At the moment I am using AVG Security, and Win7 popped up a message stating that AVG is the reason why my PC is slow. I have tried KIS and it would not install. I get a compatibility issue error. So I tried the Kaspersky anti-virus and it worked. Is the Windows Defender good enough? Have anyone tried Spy Doctor with Win7?

Offline zYb

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 05:35:21 PM »
~Hi Futsoc,

If you let me know the version of Kaspersky Internet Security you tried to install as well as what build of Win 7 you're running I can try to assist you. PM me if you like.

Also, i always visit the Kaspersky download page and get the latest version of KIS direct from there when I re-install it. If you're not running the latest version of KIS / KAV then this is probably why you're encountering compatibility problems.

You can get the latest version of the 2010 versions of Kaspersky from:

http://www.kaspersky.com/productupdates

Select what version you want to download and install / upgrade.

I hope this helps

zYb

Offline Futsoc

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 08:10:14 PM »
I was trying to use the 2009 version. I didn't know the 2010 version was out. I will give the 2010 a try and see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

Offline ady

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 10:15:31 PM »
Hi

I use Avast antivirus (free version) along with windows firewall with no probs its a fairly small download.
I used AVG for a number of years good antivirus but realy annoying update system which tends to hog your system while its running,Avast just sits in the background quietly doing its thing.

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 03:50:59 AM »

Security Suites have become so bloated and consume enormous amounts of system resourses.  Like many here have said you can accomplish the same thing for considerably less if not for free plus save on system resources.

I am currently using windows 7 firewall, and I regularly test the firewall by going to http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and run shields up.  I  consistently get a stealth rating.

For antivirus I am using Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and have grown to like it very much, and malwarebytes along side of Lavasoft Ad-aware 2010 pro.

I feel I am running a secure system while saving on system resources.

javajolt

Offline Futsoc

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 02:21:29 AM »
Are all these programs free?

Offline zYb

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 09:14:20 AM »
Hi Futsoc

Microsoft Security Essentials is free, Malwarebytes is free, but Lavasoft Ad-aware 2010 Pro is not free.

I hope this helps...

zYb

Offline Futsoc

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 04:05:41 AM »
Thanks for your help and replies guys. Now that you are being so helpful. I would like to know what is the difference between the different Win7 ISO leaks that have been leaked in the past few weeks.

1. The WZOR leak that was leaked around July 13,2009 is this an original Win7 ISO?

2. Then on July 24, 2009 there was a new leak. What is it is it OEM or RTM?

3. On August 6, 2009 the MSDN leaks. Are these RTM, OEM or retail.

Are these leaks originals and are they the same as the Win7 software that's coming out on Oct 22?

Thank you!

Offline Jake

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 04:32:02 AM »
Thanks for your help and replies guys. Now that you are being so helpful. I would like to know what is the difference between the different Win7 ISO leaks that have been leaked in the past few weeks.

1. The WZOR leak that was leaked around July 13,2009 is this an original Win7 ISO?

Are these leaks originals and are they the same as the Win7 software that's coming out on Oct 22?

Thank you!

I have seen a ton of confusion over how to activate their 7 and it simply comes down to which version you downloaded and when.

Wzor leak was OEM build I believe, but don't quote me on that.  RTM is not a build type but rather a point in time, so you only have OEM (with SLIC required for activation) and Retail (just keys needed here).  In July the leak was OEM, so if you downloaded it you'll need the activator hack to activate it.  The MSDN leak was Retail builds, you don't need a hack just legit keys to activate it.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Offline 7-11

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 06:46:38 AM »
I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials. I was lucky to get into the Beta program so I got it free. Have been using it for a while now but don't know if it is any good. Have not had any virus alerts so far. It works transparently with Windows 7. I like it but am curious if it is any good.  ???

Offline Futsoc

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 02:36:53 PM »
That sounds good. I also downloaded MS Essentials, but have not tried it. May be I sould try it.

Offline Futsoc

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 02:43:18 PM »

Thank you!

I have seen a ton of confusion over how to activate their 7 and it simply comes down to which version you downloaded and when.

Wzor leak was OEM build I believe, but don't quote me on that.  RTM is not a build type but rather a point in time, so you only have OEM (with SLIC required for activation) and Retail (just keys needed here).  In July the leak was OEM, so if you downloaded it you'll need the activator hack to activate it.  The MSDN leak was Retail builds, you don't need a hack just legit keys to activate it.

For the retail version, how many times can I use a key to activate? Because I heard you can only activate a key for 3 times only. Can the SLIC activation be used on a retail version?

Will there be a another retail leak on Oct 22?

Offline 7-11

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 04:06:41 AM »
Something I just noticed. If you are running MS Essentials it will automatically turn off Windows Defender. I tried turning on Windows Defender manually but after a few seconds it got turned off again by itself. Pretty convenient as it means you now have anti-virus and anti-spyware rolled up in one. Yes, I like MSE a lot. But haven't been able to find out how effective it is compared to other anti-virus and anti-spyware programs. Has anybody seen any comparison studies?

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 04:13:44 AM »

I too have been using MSE since befor it was released  and have subjected it many times to hazardous websites and elements, and everytime I have been alerted and the threat was blocked and or disabled.

So far I like MSE besides it is lite weight...

Offline 7-11

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 04:44:07 AM »
Thanks java for your input. Exactly what I wanted to hear.