Author Topic: Occasional Freeze At Start-Up  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Adamsappleone

• Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim
Occasional Freeze At Start-Up
« on: December 01, 2009, 05:04:41 PM »
Hey all;

System spec's in sig.
Win7 x64, removed temporarily, wasn't the source.

The issue is, occasionally I have to hard shutdown my PC from an initial start-up.
I start the machine, choose which OS to use (this happens with either OS), goes to Windows logo and freezes, hard shutdown (power button) and restart to same OS and choose "Start Windows Normally" and then it starts fine.
I run Avast Home Edition, SUPERAntispyware, Malwarebytes, Windows Defender and Windows Firewall, everything comes up clean. I've also used a couple online scanners and again, all clean. Defrag when necessary.
My browser is Firefox, latest version.
I use Open DNS
Some steps I've taken;
1. Ran Seatools HDD diagnostics-Pass
2. Ran Windows Memory Diagnostics-Pass
3. Ran WD's Data Lifeguard-Pass
4. Removed Spysweeper and installed SUPERAntispyware, wasn't the source.
5. At one point a few weeks ago, I removed Win 7 x86 and x64 and did another clean install of x86, problem returned within a few days.
6. Turned off IE8 in Windows Features and removed all related updates, problem disappeared for a few days and then returned.
7. Removed ATI CCC and drivers, now use Windows ATI drivers, wasn't the source.
8. Ran ATF Cleaner, run daily disk cleanup, run ASC Pro maintenance every couple a 3 days, nothing out of the ordinary.
9. Used Windows Troubleshooting function, no issues.
10. Checked Event Viewer and 2 errors show up, atikmdag and volmgr.
The atikmdag seems to be a very common error found by many people and systems using ATI/AMD.
Volmgr error, "crash dump initialization failed"
Haven't really found a solution for either of the 2 and not sure if they are the actual cause as I said the freezes are occasional and nothing else is affected and the errors occur whether the start-up freezes or not.

Any and all suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,

Don
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 05:05:28 PM by Adamsappleone »
ASUSP5GC-MX/1333
Intel Dual-Core E5200 @ 2500MHz
Corsair 4Gb/6400C5
ATI Radeon HD3450/512Mb w/HD Digital Sound
Seagate 0AS 250Gb SATAII 3.0
Seagate 8AS 320Gb SATAII 3.0
Seagate 8AS 320Gb SATAII 3.0

Multi-Boot, XPPro_x64, Vista_U_x86/x64, Windows_7_U_x86/x64

Offline remote1

Re: Occasional Freeze At Start-Up
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 07:53:49 PM »
Don,
I have had the same problems with my system. I also have the 64 bit Windows.  I read somewhere that win 7 doesn't like the dual boots, however found when I did a clean install by itself I still sometimes get a startup that shows the desktop but nothing seems to work correctly ( Icons are not responsive). I have also run many diagnostic programs but so far empty just stumped.

This seems to deal with the boot up process and during restarts win 7 wants to do repairs on startup, however it never changes anything. If I chosse normal startup it boots fine.
Any suggestions anyone?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 07:54:56 PM by remote1 »