Author Topic: Second hand software may not activate  (Read 4662 times)

Online javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
Second hand software may not activate
« on: January 01, 2012, 07:08:57 PM »
This question has come up numerous times and is always worth revisiting.

Question: I purchased a copy of Windows 7 on eBay back in May. I was not able to install it until last week. The activation failed and said the code was not genuine (although it is on the box); the original buyer is no longer on eBay, and I have no way of contacting him/her. So is there any work-around, or do I have to bite the bullet and buy another version?

— Jerry

Answer: I see this a lot, Jerry. It happens more often than not when someone buys a newer version of Windows from somewhere other than an authorized dealer. Every version of Windows has a product key. Microsoft tracks the registration of those keys, and doesn't let a key be activated more often than the original owner paid for.

I'm not saying that whoever sold you that copy of Windows 7 was purposely doing something illegal. I can think of a dozen scenarios in which that person could have sold the copy of Windows without knowing it had been activated. Or without knowing it had a limited life. Your best bet at this point is to call Microsoft directly, tell them your story, and ask for an activation. No promises as to what's going to happen, but it can't hurt to try. Unfortunately, I can't just give you a phone number; the number you're given depends on a series of things. But here's how to find it for Windows 7:

Click Start. Right-click Computer. Select Properties. At the bottom of this window, click Activate Windows now. The Activation Wizard is displayed, select Use the automated phone system to activate. Use the drop-down menu to select the location nearest to you and then click Next. The phone number of a Microsoft Product Activation Center will be displayed. Call the number and follow their instructions.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 09:47:00 PM by Sam »

Offline Samtastic

• I do Windows, Mac, iOS and Video Games
    • Wordpress Sam's Site
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 11:11:26 PM »
Well I'm so glad i didn't go with XP Pro on eBay for £49 which was second hand. Most recently, I bought a fresh new license key from windowskeystore.com and it validated the license as genuine. I also bought Office 2010 Pro (which was out of stock) so they upgraded me to Pro Plus for free (which worked 100%) and then I bought a Norton Internet Security key from the site and it worked 100%.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:17:22 AM by Sam »
Sam
Windows News & Info Super Moderrator
Video game Reporter
Youtube.co.uk/Samlaptop950 (Electronic Games High Scores and Gameplay,)
Oddworld and other video games walkthroughs, Speedruns and Tool Assisted Runs)
Twitch.tv/Samtastic95 (Speedruns and playthroughs)

Offline Jake

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 05:12:14 PM »
Actually on a related question, how do game rentals work anymore?  These days with all the locked down installations of games, it seems like being able to rent a PC game or PS3 game just wouldn't be possible?   ???
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Offline Snuffy

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 01:16:38 AM »
Many of the EBay products were legit. and had legit Keys.... what happened was the MDSN and TechNet keys were limited to 10 installs each. so when your key was used 10 times... it was then BLACKLISTED... so much for M$ does not collect.  You can use the Phone Home Activation and many times that will work, It also might fail since M$ knows the key has been used @ times....some of us who have 100% LEGIT KEYs have had them BLacklisted also ... shame shame on those whom sold the KEYS.  There are others methods which do work...

M$ also gives you the proper manual method on how to add the proper key, proper certificate and ask for how to Activate. The Certificate added must be proper to the KEY going to be used...
all terms and commands are listed under slmgr.vbs /?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 07:47:26 PM by javajolt »
The only STUPID Question is the one you never asked.