Author Topic: Windows 8 tablet requirements - The good, the bad and the ugly  (Read 691 times)

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
Windows 8 tablet requirements - The good, the bad and the ugly
« on: January 18, 2012, 10:33:44 PM »
I'’ve been working my way through Microsoft’s Windows 8 tablet hardware requirements and in my option it’s a mixed bag. Microsoft seems to have got some things right, missed the mark on others, and totally missed the mark in other areas.

Let’s take a tour of the good, the bad and the ugly.

The Good

• Minimum display size is 1366 x 768 - that’s a good move.

• Cameras must be 720p or better.

• Physical ‘touch marks’ for NFC hardware sensor to make using it easier.

• One USB port, Bluetooth 4.0, WLAN, gyro, accelerometer, speakers, light sensor, and magnetometer must be fitted.

• Rebootless display driver update.

• Firmware must be UEFI (death to the BIOS!).

The Bad

• No mandatory USB 3.0 support, only USB 2.0.

• Too many mandatory hardware buttons - power, rotation lock, Windows key, volume up and volume down buttons. Odd there’s not a mute button too …

• Windows ‘Start’ button is a physical button, like it is on Windows Phone hardware. I’d still much prefer a software button.

• Five-point touch. Maybe I’m spoiled by the 11-point touch present on the iPad.

• No mention of a Kensington security slot. These are handy on business hardware.

• There must be at least 10GB of free storage after the Windows ‘out-of-the-box’ experience has completed. That doesn’t feel like a lot to me,

The Ugly

• No mandatory battery life specs. Microsoft talks a lot in the documentation about ‘All Day Battery Life’ but there are no hard numbers for OEMs to adhere to. Will any Windows 8 tablet match up to the iPad’s 10-hours of juice?

• No mandatory camera requirement (except that if fitted it MUST be 720p or better). This seems strange.

• No ‘2 second resume’ rule for ARM hardware while PCs must resume from S3 standby in 2 seconds or less. Seems odd not to push for a lower limit, even if it’s not 2 seconds.

• Secure boot feature on ARM cannot be disabled. This seems like a slippery slope to me.

There’s one factor that we’re still unclear on - price. I still think that this will be the make or break factor for Windows 8 tablets. If the price is right, people will give them a chance, if not, they’ll give their money to Apple.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:25:55 PM by javajolt »