Author Topic: Gdrive debuts: 1GB free file storage in the Google cloud  (Read 928 times)

Offline riso

• Administrator
  • Beta tester Tech support dedicated 110%
    • windows 10 news and info | Forum - Blog
Gdrive debuts: 1GB free file storage in the Google cloud
« on: January 13, 2010, 08:20:07 AM »
Google has launched a 1GB free cloud storage service that lets you upload, organize, and access any type of file using the Google Docs web interface. You can store any file provided it’s not larger than 250MB and upgrade your free storage for $0.25 per GB per year (that’s $5 annually for 20GB).

Your 1GB quota counts only against uploaded files not in one of Google Docs formats. In other words, file types that don’t count against your storage include spreadsheets (xls, xlsx, csv, ods, txt, tsv, or tsb format), documents (HTML, txt, doc, docx, rtf, odt, or sxw format), and presentations (ppt or pps format).

You can use your storage to backup files that matter to you, from large graphics and files too big to attach to email messages to unedited home videos taken on your smartphone, Google said. Google Docs product manager Vijay Bangaru described in a blog post how you can share uploaded files with others using shared folders from the Docs list:

Combined with shared folders, you can store, organize, and collaborate on files more easily using Google Docs. For example, if you are in a club or PTA working on large graphic files for posters or a newsletter, you can upload them to a shared folder for collaborators to view, download, and print. You can also search for document files you’ve uploaded or that have been shared with you just like you do with your Google documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and PDFs.

GDRIVE IS HERE You'll be soon able to upload, store, organize, and share any file type in Google Docs. Everyone gets 1GB of cloud storage for free, with a 250MB per-file limit.
Your free storage quota is independent of your Gmail limit and your Picasa Web Albums quota for images (currently 1GB). Storage upgrades will be shared between Picasa Web Albums, Gmail, and Google Docs and the storage page will be updated later today to reflect the addition of Google Docs. The search firm also hinted that you’ll be able to view more file types via the Google Docs Viewer in the future.

In case new storage capabilities aren’t available yet in your Docs account, don’t panic – Google said it will be rolling out the feature over the next few weeks. Cloud storage also works with Apps accounts and third-party services via APIS, like Memeo Connect, a new app available January 18 that will let you access, migrate, and synchronize files to Google Docs across multiple PC and Mac computers.

Read more at the official Google Docs and Enterprise blogs.

Opinion:
Today’s announcement marks the first step towards a mythical Gdrive I described a year ago. It’s a safe bet that Google will combine Gdrive with the upcoming Chrome OS to enable a powerful cloud operating system plus storage combo. That said, I expect more Google services to share this cloud storage, not just Gmail, Google Docs, and Picasa Web Albums. YouTube comes to mind: Imagine being able to save original video uploads directly to Google Docs. I also expect Google to open up the consumer cloud storage via APIs, not just corporate accounts, so end-users can take advantage of third-party tools.

On top of my wish list is a tool that would sync any folder on my hard drive with the Google cloud storage – that could kill Dropbox. Or how about mapping Gdrive to a logical drive letter on my computer so I can access the contents of my Google storage through the system. The possibilities are endless, we’ll have to wait and see what Google has in store.

Tags: announcements, Gdrive, Google, Google Docs, online, services, storage