Author Topic: Yet another way to restore the Start button in Windows 8  (Read 895 times)

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
Yet another way to restore the Start button in Windows 8
« on: October 29, 2012, 10:14:39 PM »
Frankley I don't understand this wanting a start button/orb back.  Why spend the money for Windows 8 then turn around and try and make it into Windows 7.  Hell if you want Windows 7 keep it, if you don't have it buy it!

◄ § ►

I'm trying to like Windows 8, really I am, but two aspects feel like a slap in the face: Forcing me to boot into the Start screen when Desktop mode is what I'd prefer, and the lack of a Start button in said mode.

Win8 StartButton is the latest utility that aims to right what's wrong with the new OS. Not only does it provide a "classic" Start button, it also gives you the option of making the desktop your default boot destination. Huzzah!

Right from the get-go, Win8 StartButton displays a Windows 7-style Start button and Start menu. You can venture into the settings to tweak everything from the look (Windows XP, anyone?) to the layout, but I suspect most users will be quite happy with the defaults.

During installation, make sure to choose the Custom option, otherwise you could end up with unwanted junkware: Torch Browser 2.0 and Media Player Classic.

It's worth noting that Win8 StartButton looks to be a slightly tweaked version of Classic Shell, the open-source Start solution I mentioned last week.

If you want something that's little more in keeping with Windows 8's app-centric philosophy, check out Pokki. It supplies a Start, er, acorn, plus a pretty robust app store.

source:pcworld

Offline Snuffy

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 07:53:23 PM »
I very much agree with the "Start Button" seems to me it was a waste of time...

Windows 7
1. start Windows 7
2. click start button
3. click all program
4. then you probable need to click open some folder....
then look for what you want.

Windows 8
1. start Windows 8
2. the menu is on that page called START..... click what program you want....
if you do not want what M$ added by default  remove it.... simple..
The only STUPID Question is the one you never asked.

Offline javajolt

• Administrator
  • I Do Windows
    • windows10newsinfo.com
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 09:20:54 PM »
again snuffy and i are singing off the same sheet of music...

if you do not want what M$ added by default  remove it.... simple..

then add what you WANT and make it yours by default!