Author Topic: Win7 keeps forgetting my passwords  (Read 4152 times)

Offline heula

Win7 keeps forgetting my passwords
« on: October 22, 2009, 01:04:41 PM »
Win7 doesn't always remember my log in acounts and passwords for several accounts I have. For example this account.
It is very annoying I have to type all over again. Windows keeps asking if it should save my passwords but the to enable this is grayed out and the only thing I can choose is never ask this again.
In Vista this worked just fine.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 05:07:05 PM by heula »

Offline bluemomentbass

Re: Win7 keeps forgetting my passwords
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 02:47:31 PM »
Are the passwords not saving for websites, or something different?  What browser are you using?

Offline heula

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 05:06:18 PM »
For the websites. Mostly forums where I use them.

Internet Explorer 8 I'm using in Win7 RTM.

Offline bluemomentbass

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 06:23:57 PM »
I really don't use IE, so please excuse me if I am a bit rusty here....
Assuming that your not experiencing this while using the "InPrivate Browsing" feature, check these settings:
Internet Options > General > Browsing History > Delete > Uncheck 'Passwords'
Internet Options > Content > AutoComplete > Settings > Check 'User names and passwords on forms' and 'Ask me before saving passwords'

If neither of these settings work you may need to reset all your settings.  CCCleaner would probably be the quickest way to this..

From a quick googe search, its appears IE8 seems to have known bugs with passwords storing correctly for certain websites.

I honestly recommend moving to a different browser.  Firefox can import your IE passwords, as well as bookmarks etc...  Chrome is nice too, but does have limitations with not support all website formats.  Opera 10 seems to be a mix of all 3 these days.....

Offline heula

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 09:22:31 AM »
Ok thanks, I have used firefox but I like the way IE8 handles the favorites and the favorites bar which firefox doesn't have. At least I couldn't find a way to get my most favorite on top like in IE8. I will test if firefox remembers my passwords and all.

Offline bluemomentbass

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 12:53:15 PM »
One of the really nice features of firefox are the "Add-ons", and there is about anything you want to get you the bells and whistles you'd like.

This should get you started, with your search for bookmark management:
http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:1/cat:22

Firefox Add-ons Installation Guide:
http://www.accessfirefox.org/Addons_Installation_Guide.php

Offline heula

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 04:04:42 PM »
Thanks, I found what I was looking for.

Offline bluemomentbass

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 08:48:38 PM »
The IE problem, or firefox info?  If you found the IE problem please post the resolution steps so others can benefits.

Thanks!

Offline heula

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 11:16:08 PM »
Not sur yet. Just restarted my pc and I had to log in to see this thread. With Firefox this time.
I'll keep testing a couple of days.

Offline Snuffy

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 02:17:21 AM »
You might check an see what program start when you restart your system... many 3rd party programs which are used as CLEANERS, auto remove ALL PASSWORDs, That would be the first thing I would check.

If it is the Computer,  simply login to any forum.... make sure your logged in... and have Win 7 set to REMEMBER PASSWORDS.
then close that forum, move on to others forums or things, then come back to this forum... if you are auto logged in. it is not WIN7.
Many forums offer 10 or 20 things to do which make your System FASTER.... well, make sure you read and understand everything they recommend you do ...one of these faster things is disable: AutoComplete may be disabled, you can check by going to Tools, then Internet Options. On the Internet Options screen go to the Content tab, and click the Settings button in the AutoComplete section. In the Settings make sure that User names and passwords on forms is checked.
The only STUPID Question is the one you never asked.