Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

The dominance of AMD and Intel could be coming to an end if Qualcomm has its way with its new ARM processors. ARM continues to make headlines with Qualcomm and Apple releasing incredibly powerful desktop and mobile processors and now the former has unveiled support for Linux is already in the works. Qualcomm’s efforts will see Snapdragon X Elite processors booting on Linux and Windows-powered systems.

The company has already upstreamed numerous patchsets for merging into the Linux kernel, including NVMe over PCIe, sound machine driver, PMC8380 PMIC, Pinctrl (TLMM), Phy (PCIe/eDP/USB), reference board support (CRD/QCP), and system cache. These were loaded into Linux kernels 6.8 and 6.9 and shows a strong commitment to supporting not only Windows but the alternative operating systems.

Why is this a big deal for Linux?

Qualcomm showing love for Linux is a massive step forward for the company and the Linux community. Many important features have already made their way into patches but Qualcomm has more in the works for Linux kernel 6.10 and 6.11, including battery, USB host, GPU, external DP, suspend/resume, video, camera, and speakers/microphone/headset.

The Snapdragon X Elite is a powerful CPU, featuring 12 cores that can run up to speeds of 4.3 GHz. It’s a system-on-chip (SoC) design with an Adreno GPU that can handle 4.6 TFLOPs for gaming and other GPU-intensive tasks. And as AI is all the rave right now, the Snapdragon X Elite boasts 45 TOPs for AI-specific workloads.

The roadmap for the next six months includes work in end-to-end hardware video decoding on Firefox and Chrome, CPU and GPU optimizations, power optimizations, making firmware openly available through Linux-firmware, and access to easy installers on Ubuntu and Debian.

Qualcomm published an experimental disk image for a Debian installer and is asking the wider community to monitor their work on the Linux Kernel Mailing List (LKML) archive (search for "X1E80100") to inform them of what needs to be added. It’s exciting times ahead for the Linux platform and the PC industry as a whole with more competition gearing up for an expansive launch.

Looking ahead at new Snapdragon PCs

We likely won’t see much in terms of Qualcomm hardware running Linux outside of laptops and other portable devices, but it’ll be interesting to see how far Qualcomm takes its new chips with the desktop market ripe for the taking. May 20th is just around the corner when we'll see a host of devices launch with the new Qualcomm chip and I cannot see Linux being too far behind with this work.

source
A scammer says "transfer the money in your bank account," but Android is listening.

Google's "code red" demands that AI be part of every single Google product and that includes Android. At Google I/O, the company announced a "multi-year journey to reimagine Android with AI at the core" but only demoed a few minor AI enhancements.

Gemini can soon be brought up via the power button as an overlay panel, where it will have access to whatever's on your screen. The demo involved opening a PDF in Android's PDF reader, summarizing it, and answering questions based on the content. You can do something similar with a YouTube video. The demo also showed generating images based on a text prompt and then sending those images in a text message. Another demo involved Gemini understanding a chat log and suggesting future actions.

Talkback, Android's system for low-vision users, will soon be able to use AI to describe images that lack descriptive text.

The wildest demo revealed that Gemini will listen to your phone calls. One demo involved a scam phone call where the scammer on the other end claimed fraudulent charges were happening on your account and that the best way to secure your money would be to transfer it to a new account. After hearing the scammer speak the request to transfer money, the Google phone app popped up with a warning: "Likely scam. Banks will never ask you to move your money to keep it safe."

Google says that some of these features will require the pay-per-month Gemini Advanced. The company says all of these features will happen on-device, so your phone calls and PDFs will not be streamed to the Internet. It still feels just a bit creepy to have an AI listen in on your phone calls. Google says the feature will be opt-in.

In other Android news, Android 15 is being demoted to Day 2 of Google I/O, when it used to be headline keynote stuff. An operating system is not AI, so it's not making the keynote.

source
Next-gen AI experiences and new Arm-powered Surface PCs are on the agenda.

(Image credit: Microsoft)

Microsoft is hosting a special event in Seattle on May 20, and as always, the company is remaining tight-lipped about what exactly we're going to see. Luckily, we already have a pretty good idea about what the company intends to talk about, and it's likely to involve Windows, Surface, and yet-to-be-announced AI experiences that will join them together.

Unfortunately, this year's event will not be livestreamed, which means you will have to follow our live blog to see the news as it happens. Or, keep reading for a preview of the announcements I'm expecting to see.

AI experiences in Windows 11 will be the main focus. (Image credit: Windows Central)

Microsoft is expected to spend some time taking the wraps off its next major Windows 11 update, which will ship later this year as the Windows 11 2024 Update. This release will ship first on new Qualcomm Snapdragon X-based PCs launching in June and will roll out to everyone else in the fall.

The big focus for this year's Windows 11 update is on next-gen AI experiences, some of which are expected to require a neural processing unit (NPU) with around 40-45 TOPS of power. Qualcomm's upcoming SoC is capable of running this, and next-gen chips from Intel and AMD coming in 2025 are also expected to run these next-gen AI experiences.

AI Explorer

AI Explorer is expected to be the blockbuster AI feature coming to Windows 11.
(Image credit: Windows Central)

The likely star of the show will be AI Explorer, an internal umbrella term for a number of next-gen AI experiences coming to Windows 11 later this year. AI Explorer will deliver a set of features that utilize next-gen NPU hardware to allow Windows to run AI in the background, which analyzes everything you do and turns that into snapshots and memories that can be recalled at a later date using natural language.

According to my sources, the feature includes a timeline interface that will let you scroll back through all the different things you've done on your PC that the AI has captured, and let you Recall any moment just by typing in a search criteria.

For example, if you were chatting with a friend called Sarah on WhatsApp who casually mentioned a list of movies they wanted to see, typing "show me that list of movies Sarah said she wanted to see" would bring up that exact moment in time when that conversation was happening.

AI Explorer can also analyze what's currently on-screen and provide contextual suggestions based on what it can see. An example of this is looking at two apps or webpages side by side, and asking AI Explorer to compare the two things. Or you could be looking at an image sent to you in an email, and AI Explorer can suggest removing the background of that image using Photos with a single-click.

You can learn more about these upcoming AI Explorer features in my in-depth write-up.

Advanced Windows Studio Effects

Studio Effects will enhance webcam feeds with artistic styles.  (Image credit: Microsoft)

Microsoft is also planning to unveil a number of enhanced Windows Studio Effects, specifically with new video effects that will apply filters in real-time in a handful of different artistic styles. These are expected to be built-in to Windows and can be applied in any app that uses the built-in webcam and Studio Effects feed.

Live Captions

Live captions are expected to get an AI upgrade that can translate different languages in real time.

Live Captions may also get a mention too. I hear Microsoft has been working on a new AI-powered feature that will enable the ability to translate different languages in real time based on whatever audio is being played on the system. Microsoft will tout this as an example of how AI is improving accessibility software.

Local Generative AI

Copilot should gain some local AI capabilities.  (Image credit: Windows Central)

I also expect Microsoft to talk a bit about how it's enabling on-device Generative AI experiences. Up until now, many of the AI experiences on Windows 11 are cloud-based, which allows PCs without NPUs to utilize LLM technology. Starting later this year, Copilot will gain some local generative AI capabilities, reducing their reliance on the cloud on PCs with dedicated NPUs.

The Surface Pro and Surface Laptop will be top billing at this event.  (Image credit: Microsoft)

The other half of this event is expected to be all about Surface and Windows on Arm. Specifically, I am expecting Microsoft to unveil consumer variants of the Surface Pro 10 and Surface Laptop 6, both powered by Qualcomm's new Snapdragon X Series SoCs.

Qualcomm's new chip beats Intel's latest Core Ultra chips in both performance and efficiency benchmarks, and even trades blows with the latest MacBook Air and MacBook Pro. It's the first Windows on Arm chip that truly competes, and hardware makers are finally confident enough to position Windows on Arm devices as part of their mainstream lineups.

That's what we're going to see with the Surface Pro 10 and Surface Laptop 6 at this event. As far as I'm aware, Microsoft only intends to offer these consumer variants with Arm chips, a first for the Surface line. I also expect other OEMs such as Dell, HP, and Lenovo to announce their own Qualcomm-powered laptops around the same time.

The first Snapdragon X Series-powered laptops are expected to start shipping in June, and Microsoft's Surface Pro and Surface Laptop offerings are expected to be some of the first available.

Surface Laptop

Expect the Surface Laptop to ship with a refreshed design. (Image credit: Windows Central)

It's the Surface Laptop line that's in the most need of a design refresh, and it sounds like that's what we might be getting with the Arm-powered Surface Laptop 6. According to my sources, the new Surface Laptop with Arm will be available in both 13.8- and 15-inch display sizes, both consisting of thinner bezels with rounded display corners.

Additionally, the device is also said to ship with an updated keyboard deck with a larger haptic trackpad, which is said to be similar to the trackpad found on the Surface Laptop Studio 2. I also hear the device will have a revised selection of ports, including one USB-A, two USB-C, and Surface Connect.

Surface Pro

The Arm-powered Surface Pro 10 may ship with an OLED display option.  (Image credit: Microsoft)

As far as I'm aware, the Arm-powered Surface Pro is less of a major update. I expect it to ship with a similar design to the Surface Pro 10 for business, including the rounded display corners that debuted with that model. The device will be available in more colors, as will the Surface Pro Type Cover, which has been updated with a dedicated Copilot key.

I'm told Microsoft is planning to offer the Arm-powered Surface Pro in an OLED display configuration for the first time, matching that of the new iPad Pro. The device will also offer an anti-reflective coating, similar to the Surface Pro 10 for business.

Surface Go 4

Surface Go 4 may finally go on sale for consumers. (Image credit: Future)

While I don't expect this to get a mention during the event, I have heard that Surface Go 4 will be made available to buy for consumers this summer. Up until now, the Surface Go 4 has been exclusively available for commercial customers, but that means you've not been able to find the Surface Go 4 in retail stores like Best Buy or Amazon.

I understand that the Surface Go 4 for consumers will be identical to the Surface Go 4 for commercial customers, meaning it will be powered by the same Intel N200 processor and not an Arm chip.

It's always a possibility that Microsoft may have one or two surprises up its sleeve. I know we're not going to hear about any other Surface products at the event. That means no Surface Laptop Studio, no Surface Studio, and definitely no Surface Duo or headphones. The focus is on Surface Pro and Surface Laptop, and Qualcomm's newest SoC.

So, that's everything I'm expecting to see (and not see) during Microsoft's event on May 20. I will be on the ground covering the event as it happens, so keep it locked to Windows Central for all the news.

source
AI, MR & VR | Robotics articles / What is Windows 11 'AI Explorer'
« Last post by javajolt on Today at 06:14:00 AM »
Everything you need to know about Microsoft's upcoming defining AI PC feature

Windows 11 will be supercharged with AI designed to enhance productivity and search across the OS.

It's an open secret that Microsoft is gearing up to supercharge Windows 11 this summer with next-gen AI capabilities that will enable the OS to be context aware across any apps and interfaces, as well as remember everything you do on your PC to enhance user productivity and search.

These new capabilities are set to ship as part of "AI Explorer," an internal umbrella term for a number of next-gen AI experiences which I'm told will be unveiled during Microsoft's special Windows event on May 20. AI Explorer will utilize next-gen neural processing unit (NPU) hardware to process these machine learning and generative AI experiences locally on the device with low latency.

The feature is also said to be exclusive to devices powered by Qualcomm's upcoming Snapdragon X series chips, at least at first, as Intel and AMD play catchup in the NPU race. It will also require PCs with at least 16GB RAM. But what exactly is AI Explorer, and what can it do? Here's everything I know about it so far.

AI that remembers everything you do

AI Explorer is an app that will run in the background on NPU capable PCs. (Image credit: Windows Central)

According to my sources, AI Explorer will run in the background and capture everything you do on your computer. It will document and triage everything it sees, no matter what apps or interfaces you're looking at, and turn them into memories that you can recall at a later point.

For example, you can have a conversation with a friend in the WhatsApp app for Windows, and AI Explorer will record and remember the content that was on-screen and process it with AI for you to recall later. AI Explorer can also summarize conversations, emails, web pages, and general UI surfaces just by asking for it during or after the fact.

I'm told that much of this experience is rendered on-device and does not reach out to the cloud to process information. This is important for privacy reasons, but also for performance reasons. To reduce latency, AI Explorer will rely on NPU silicon to process content that has been recorded. I also understand that users will be able to filter out specific apps from being recorded by the AI Explorer process or disable AI Explorer entirely.

Search for anything with natural language

A mock-up of what the search bar in AI Explorer may look like.  (Image credit: Windows Central)

Sources say AI Explorer features a UI that runs along the top of the screen, and lets users recall memories based on the user's inputted search criteria. Because AI Explorer is recording and triaging everything you do on your computer, anything and everything becomes something you can search for.

Looked at some webpages about dinosaurs a few days ago but can't remember the name of the websites? Just type "show me webpages about dinosaurs I viewed a few days ago" and AI Explorer will be able to pull it up. How about a chat with a friend about the Fallout TV show, but you can't remember who it was or what app you used? Type "find me conversations I've had about the Fallout TV show" and AI Explorer will pull up those chats and the points in time where you had them.

Notably, AI Explorer enables the ability to search for things using natural language. No longer will users be confined to strict search terms that must be accurate for results. If you're looking for a document that your colleague Bob sent you on Slack, just typing "find me that file Bob sent me on Slack a few weeks ago" should yield results based on memories that AI Explorer has captured.

You can also use basic search terms such as "FY24 earnings," and every instance where FY24 earnings (and related queries) appeared on-screen will be brought up and shown in AI Explorer for you to look back at.

Contextually aware across any app

The AI will be able to help across apps. (Image credit: Windows Central)

AI Explorer is able to do more than just remember the things you do on your computer, it's also able to analyze what's currently on-screen and provide contextual suggestions and tasks based on what it can see. For example, if you're looking at an image in an app or webpage, AI Explorer can present suggested tasks such as "remove the background of this image using Paint," which can be initiated with a single click.

You can also ask AI Explorer to compare two documents that are on-screen, which will lean on Microsoft Copilot to create a comparison. It can also read, understand, and help craft responses to emails or conversations, no matter the app. This capability is called Screen Understanding, and I'm told one of the big selling points of AI Explorer is that it's supposed to work across any app, with no developer input required.

There will likely be things developers can do to enhance their apps for AI Explorer, but out of the box it should be to analyze, triage, and provide contextual suggestions for content within apps without any developer input.

A new era of AI experiences on Windows

Microsoft has teased AI Explorer in the past. (Image credit: Windows Central)

Sources familiar with AI Explorer describe it as a truly useful AI experience that works for you in the background to enhance your workflow while using a Windows PC. With that in mind, it's not an entirely new concept. There's already a third-party app available on Mac called Rewind.ai that does pretty much everything AI Explorer is attempting to achieve.

The existence of Rewind.ai proves that this is a concept that can be done, and Microsoft is essentially building its own version into Windows 11 that offloads the resources required for such a feature onto NPUs to keep the load away from the CPU. AI Explorer will be the defining difference between upcoming AI PCs and a non-AI PCs, my sources say.

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella himself has teased that personal computing is about to enter a new era thanks to AI, and that this year will be where we really see how AI can aid and improve people's digital workflows on Windows. New Windows lead Pavan Davuluri has also previously teased what's coming this year:

"The AI is going to be able to orchestrate across multiple apps, services, and devices, functioning as an agent in your life that can connect and keep context across entire workflows."

AI Explorer isn't the only new AI experience Microsoft is working on for Windows 11 in 2024 either. I understand that Microsoft also has more advanced Windows Studio Effects in the works, a new Live Captions feature that can translate languages in real-time, and more on-device generative AI experiences such as local Copilot capabilities, background removal in Photos, image generation in Paint, and more.

We will have hands-on with AI Explorer, and all the new AI features, once they are announced, likely on May 20.

source
Dust buildup is bad for your system, so you should regularly clean your PC tower to keep it free of dirt and grime

Cleaning is a crucial part of the PC maintenance routine, and we can't stress how important it is to regularly dust and clean your PC tower. If you ever peek inside your PC's chassis, and you see piles of dust gathered around the internals, then that's not a good sign. We say that because the dust and grime that's collecting on your PC's power and its internals are not only tarnishing its looks, but they're also significantly affecting your PC's performance by reducing the thermal efficiency of your system.

Even the best PC cases will eventually accumulate enough dust to start impacting your system's performance, so it's important to ensure you're getting rid of the dust frequently. While the process of cleaning your PC tower may sound rather tedious, this step-by-step procedure will help you selectively clean the components that are prone to collecting a lot of dust during everyday usage.

What you’ll need

The prerequisites

Most PC cases use thumbscrews to keep the front and back panels in place, but you’ll need a Phillips screwdriver if you plan to unmount the components during the cleanup procedure.

As for the cleaning tools, you’ll need a can of compressed air to get rid of all the dust and debris on your components. Additionally, you’ll need some isopropyl alcohol wipes to properly clean the non-fragile PC parts. You can technically use rubbing alcohol, but I would advise against it as rubbing alcohol contains more traces of water, which can harm your PC's internals. As such, you should typically use isopropyl alcohol with over 90% alcohol concentration when you clean your PC.

Before you begin

Prepare your PC for a clean-up

There are certain steps you should take to ensure that you don't harm yourself or your PC during the cleanup procedure.

1. Turn off your PC and unplug all the cables connected to it.

2. Press and hold the power button for at least 20 seconds to drain all residual power from the PSU.

3. Move the PC tower to a well-ventilated area to ensure that the dust does not settle back into your rig after you finish cleaning it.

4. Remove the front and side panels after loosening the thumb screws that hold them in place.

How to clean the dust out of your PC tower

A step-by-step guide

Cleaning your PC is a lot easier than you think because dust tends to gather around the fans and on the surface of the components instead of settling inside the parts. The most dust-attracting components of your PC are the dust filters, cabinet fans, GPU fans, and the CPU cooler, so you should focus on these parts during the cleanup procedure.

1. Start by removing the dust filters from your cabinet and cleaning them with isopropyl alcohol wipes.

2. Use a compressed air duster to get rid of the dirt and dust accumulated on the case fans. Alternatively, you can use a microfiber cloth to gently clean them, but you'd want to detach them from the cabinet to avoid damaging them.

3. Next up is the GPU. While you can remove most of the dust from your GPU by simply blowing air on it using a compressed air duster, I’d recommend removing the GPU from the case for thorough cleaning. Detach the PSU wires from the GPU, loosen the expansion slot screws securing it in place, and gently unmount the GPU while pressing down on the PCIe latch.

4. Using a finger or a toothpick, hold the GPU fans in place while you clean them with the compressed air can.

5. If the RAM sticks have some dirt gathered around them, you can blow it away using the compressed air duster.

6. If you want to properly clean the dust off your CPU's cooler, you’ll have to detach the fan from the heat sink. Some CPU fans are attached to the heatsink via latches, allowing you to easily disconnect them, while others require you to unmount the entire cooler from the CPU before you can separate the fan from the heatsink. Consult its manual before going ahead with the unmounting process. Use the same procedure you followed when cleaning the GPU fans to dislodge dirt and grime from the CPU fan and heatsink.

It only takes a few minutes to clean the PC tower regularly

Although your PC is now dust-free, you’ll notice that it’s left in a disassembled state. Once you’re done putting your rig back together, be sure to regularly clean the dust filters every other week and the cabinet fans every three months to prevent dust from gathering inside your PC tower. Cleaning them every once in a while will also help improve your system temperatures.

If you want to improve your PC's thermal efficiency even further, consider looking into the cases with the best airflow. You may be inclined to believe that more airflow is synonymous with increased dust accumulation, but many of these cabinets have dust filters around the intake fans to ensure they don't get clogged with dirt.

source

Microsoft Sniping tool has been available for Windows users to screenshot their display. The Sniping tool does not often get new updates like other features. However, Microsoft has now added a new and attractive feature to the Sniping tool. According to a tweet by PhantomOcean3, Microsoft has discreetly integrated the Bing search feature into the Snipping tool.  This was spotted while digging through Windows 11 version 11.2404.37.0. This addition, although not officially announced by Microsoft, brings a new dimension to the functionality of the snipping tool. It offers users a convenient way to conduct visual searches directly from their screenshots.

WHAT IS THE SNIPPING TOOL?

The Snipping Tool is a versatile screenshot utility developed by Microsoft, initially introduced in Windows Vista and subsequently included in Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, and Windows 11. This tool allows users to capture screenshots of various elements on their screens, such as open windows, rectangular areas, free-form areas, or the entire screen. The captured snips can be saved as image files in formats like PNG, GIF, or JPEG, or as MHTML files. Also, users can email the snips directly from the tool.

Before Windows Vista, the Snipping Tool, originally known as the Clipping Tool, was part of the Experience Pack for Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005. Over the years, the tool has undergone enhancements and updates, with significant changes introduced in Windows 10 version 1809 with the introduction of Snip & Sketch. This newer version offered a more modern interface and additional functionalities, such as the ability to annotate screenshots.

The Snipping Tool provides users with different capture modes, including Free-form Snip, Rectangle Snip, Window Snip, and Full-screen Snip. Users can select the desired mode based on their specific screenshot requirements. Once a snip is captured, users can annotate it using coloured pens, an eraser, or a highlighter. The tool also allows for basic image editing within the application.

The Snipping Tool is easily accessible through the Start menu on Windows systems, where users can search for it by name. Additionally, users can create shortcuts for quick access to the tool, enhancing convenience and efficiency when capturing screenshots. The tool’s user-friendly interface and straightforward functionality make it a popular choice for users looking to capture and annotate screenshots seamlessly.

UNVEILING THE HIDDEN FEATURE

Users of the Windows 11 screenshot tool can access the Bing search feature by simply right-clicking within the tool’s menu, where they will find the option “Visual search with Bing.” This feature mirrors the capabilities of Google Lens, enabling users to identify objects within images and search for relevant information on the web. The integration of this feature adds a layer of interactivity and utility to the snipping tool, enhancing the overall user experience.

While Microsoft is currently limiting access to this feature by inviting select users for testing, they have provided an alternative solution for all Windows 11 users. By copying and pasting screenshots into the Copilot window, users can leverage AI technology to perform image searches. This alternative method ensures that all users can benefit from the functionality of visual search, even if they are not part of the initial testing group.

The inclusion of the Bing search feature within the Windows 11 snipping tool represents a significant step towards enhancing user experience and productivity. By enabling users to seamlessly search for information related to objects within their screenshots, Microsoft is streamlining the process of gathering relevant data and insights. This feature not only saves time but also opens up new possibilities for utilizing screenshots in a more interactive and informative manner.

COMPARISON TO GOOGLE LENS

The similarity between the Bing search feature in the Windows 11 snipping tool and Google Lens lies in their shared objective of identifying objects within images and providing users with relevant web-based information. While Google Lens has been a popular tool for visual searches, Microsoft’s integration of a similar feature within the snipping tool brings this functionality directly to Windows 11 users, eliminating the need for third-party applications.

The addition of the Bing search feature to the Windows 11 snipping tool hints at Microsoft’s commitment to innovation and user-centric design. By continuously enhancing the capabilities of their tools and software, Microsoft is setting a precedent for seamless integration of AI-driven features that cater to the evolving needs of users. This move not only improves the functionality of the snipping tool but also sets the stage for further advancements in visual search technology within the Windows ecosystem.

CONCLUSION

In conclusion, the integration of the Bing search feature within the Windows 11 snipping tool marks a significant milestone in Microsoft’s journey towards enhancing user experience and productivity. By offering users a convenient way to conduct visual searches directly from their screenshots, Microsoft is empowering users with a powerful tool that combines functionality and innovation. As this feature continues to evolve and reach a wider audience, it may modify the way users interact with images and information within the Windows environment.

This feature not only aligns with the trend of AI-driven tools but also showcases Microsoft’s commitment to innovation and user-centric design. By incorporating functionalities akin to Google Lens directly into the Snipping Tool, Microsoft is simplifying the visual search process for Windows 11 users and eliminating the need for third-party applications. This move underscores Microsoft’s dedication to enhancing the functionality of its tools and software. The company is therefore setting a precedent for future advancements in visual search technology within the Windows environment.

source
Arm is set to develop artificial intelligence processors for its parent company Softbank, which plans to use them in its own datacenters, reports Nikkei. This will mark a significant step in Softbank's CEO Masayoshi Son's vision to transform the company into an AI-driven conglomerate with a projected investment of 10 trillion yen ($64 billion).

The UK-based Arm will create a specialized division dedicated to AI chips, with the goal of having a prototype ready by spring 2025. Following the prototype processor in spring 2025, mass production of Arm's processors is anticipated to commence in the fall of 2025 at a contract maker of chips, such as TSMC, Samsung Foundry, or Intel.

SoftBank intends to build datacenters using its own processors across the U.S., Europe, Asia, and the Middle East by 2026. Due to the substantial power requirements of data centers, the company will reportedly also expand into power generation. Plans include the development of wind and solar power facilities, with an eye on pioneering next-generation fusion technology, Nikkei claims.

SoftBank, which owns a 90% stake in Arm, will cover the initial development expenses, expected to run into hundreds of billions of yen. Once the processor is in mass production, the AI chip business might be separated and operated under the SoftBank umbrella, reports Nikkei. Meanwhile, it is unclear whether Arm will make the design available to its clients. It is also unclear how Arm's customers will see this plan as Softbank will compete not only against developers of chips that license technology from Arm, but also against cloud companies, such as Amazon and Microsoft.

Son's broader strategy involves leveraging AI to enhance capabilities across datacenters, robotics, and power generation sectors. SoftBank's commitment is to fuse cutting-edge AI, processors, and robotics technologies to drive innovation across various industries. 

The Softbank CEO has been proactive globally, traveling to key technology hubs in Taiwan and the U.S., and meeting with industry leaders to garner support for his AI initiatives. He has emphasized the potential of artificial general intelligence to revolutionize sectors like shipping, pharmaceuticals, finance, manufacturing, and logistics.

The market for AI processors is growing rapidly and is expected to balloon from $30 billion this year to more than $100 billion by 2029, and surpassing $200 billion by 2032, according to estimates cited by Nikkei. Despite Nvidia's current leadership in the market, the company is struggling to meet surging demand for its AI processors, such as the H100, which is an opportunity for SoftBank.

source

Microsoft Basic Display Driver ASPEED AST2400 BMC Video

This week, we were setting up a system that uses an ASPEED BMC for video. The ASPEED BMCs are commonly used on servers and workstations and provide out-of-band management capabilities. They also offer a low-power, decades-old GPU, usually over a PCIe x1 link, that powers VGA, iKVM, and other server features. Sometimes, you set up a system with a BMC and install Windows, and the video output looks horrific with low resolution that does not work with some apps, websites, and settings. This is exactly what we did this week, and someone in the studio did not know that you can get more useful, higher-resolution output.

How to Install the ASPEED Windows 11 VGA Driver for Better Video

Upon the initial installation of Windows, the ASPEED GPU is picked up by the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver. Here, we can see that only 1024×768 or 800×600 resolutions are available.

Microsoft Basic Display Driver ASPEED AST2400 BMC Video

Step one is to download the ASPEED graphics driver. There is a Windows version, as well as a Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris version. You can find that either from the server or motherboard maker or directly from ASPEED here. Downloading and extracting that driver, we get a number of options. Notably, there is even now a Windows 11 on Arm version (WIN11_ARM) but most of the versions are for x86.

ASPEED AST2400 BMC Video Driver Bundle

You can install the drivers from those individual folders, or go into the WDDM Installer. WDDM stands for Windows Display Driver Model that has been around since Windows Vista or Windows 8. The installer has a Setup Wizard that is kept up to date with Windows and Windows Server versions. Here we are using Windows 11 so we are using Win11_23H2. If you were using Windows Server 2022, you would use Win2022 and so forth.

ASPEED AST2400 BMC Video Driver WDDM Win 11 Installation

Once you have this installed, you can immediately see the increase in display output options as we now have 1920×1080 available.

ASPEED AST2400 BMC Win 11 Drivers Installed

For those hoping for a massive performance jump, this does not fix the fact that the low-power SoC uses GPU IP from eons ago, and it is usually on some low-performance PCIe link that is being shared with the rest of the BMC.

Final Words

Our big piece of advice is to install the GPU display driver if you are installing Windows or Windows Server onto a system with an ASPEED BMC with a GPU (usually the AST2xxx series.) This is something very easy to overlook with unattended installations or even just on the initial setup. It is also something that is very frustrating if you are trying to troubleshoot via an in data center KVM cart and you are trying to look at Windows Server Manager but cannot see options due to low resolution. It pays to be slightly proactive and update drivers before there is an issue. This is also very useful for those running AI servers or workstations and needs a video output that is not tied to the accelerator.

source
Android O.S | Apps / An awesome Android audio upgrade
« Last post by javajolt on May 12, 2024, 07:26:42 PM »
Whether you're dealing with mumblings from meetings, noises from notifications, or music from commute-time streaming, you've never experienced sound on your phone like this.

CREDIT: JR RAPHAEL/GOOGLE/BRONEARTULM

Every now and then, I come across an Android customization concept so clever, so cool, so splendidly useful that I just can’t wait to share it with you.

Today, my fellow Android-appreciating animal, is one of those days.

The concept in question is a hefty and exceptionally practical upgrade for your Android audio experience. It brings a boost to the way you interact with sound on whatever Android device you’re using, no matter who made it or how old it may be. And it’ll take you less than a minute to get going (though, if you enjoy geeking out over details as much as I do, you may find yourself fine-tuning its setup and exploring advanced options within it for a while beyond that).

I’m tellin’ ya: It’s one heck of an improvement. And unlike most of the stuff we’re bound to hear about at Google’s grand I/O gala next Tuesday, it’s something you can start using this very second — and something with an impact that’ll be immediately obvious and genuinely advantageous all throughout your day, both for professional work-related purposes and for any after-hours audio adventuring.

Ready for a whole new level of Android aural pleasure?

Meet your Android audio enhancement

The upgrade of which we speak may seem simple on the surface, but don’t be fooled: This nifty little lift will affect all aspects of your Android-using experience and make your life easier — even saving you time and increasing your efficiency — countless times a day.

It’s a completely new take on the Android volume panel — y’know, the little slider that shows up whenever you tap your phone’s physical volume keys. Unless you’re a complete and total nerd (hello!), that’s probably a part of the Android interface you haven’t spent much time thinking about. But believe you me, once you see how much of a meaningful difference this improvement introduces, you’ll wonder how you went so long without it.

Our upgrade comes by way of a thoughtfully crafted app called Precise Volume 2.0. The app essentially replaces your standard volume panel interface with a totally different, much more customizable, and delightfully feature-rich alternative. (And, yes, you’d better believe this is another one of those wonderful control-claiming superpowers that’d be possible only on Android.)

But enough with the broad blathering. Precise Volume has six especially noteworthy benefits that I’d encourage you to consider:

1. It empowers you to create all sorts of custom presets — specific sets of volume levels for media, ring and notification noises, call and alarm chimes, and even general system sounds — and then activate those with a single swift tap right from your regular volume panel pop-up.

2. It includes easy options for automation, too, so you can instantly have your phone change its volume settings in any specific way anytime a particular app is opened, anytime a specific Bluetooth or wired device is connected, or even anytime a certain day and time arrives.

3. It expands the standard system volume sliders to make ’em much more precise, with a visible zero to 100 scale that lets you get super-nuanced about the exact volume level you want for any given moment or purpose. You can even increase that scale, if you want extra control beyond that, and make your volume sliders operate on a zero to 1,000 step increment setup (or any other measure you like).

4. It includes simple equalizer settings, which can make any audio you’re hearing sound noticeably better and can also be included in those presets and automations we just went over. These settings can even make your phone’s maximum volume higher, if you find things are occasionally too quiet.

5. It adds in a not-yet-broadly-available Android-15-style volume panel expansion that makes all your audio controls even easier to manage from anywhere.

6. And it brings that simple, standard Android design into the volume panel on any device — delivering quite an improvement over the murky mess present on phones by Samsung and other heavy-handed companies by default.

THE PRECISE VOLUME PANEL IN ITS INITIAL FORM, AT LEFT, AND FULLY EXPANDED, AT RIGHT.
Credit: JR RAPHAEL, IDG

Not bad, right? Now, there is one catch: For the full set of features, including the volume panel replacement, you’ll have to pony up six bucks as an in-app purchase for Precise Volume’s Pro version. But you can play around with some of the features even in the app’s free version. And if you like what you find, you’ll likely find that one-time purchase to be very worth its weight.

So let’s get started, shall we?

60 seconds to smarter Android audio

First things first, on the simplest possible level:

Download Precise Volume 2.0 from the Play Store.

• Open it up and accept the couple of permissions it requests. (They’re completely innocuous and required for parts of the app’s operation.)

• Explore the app’s tabs and the options within ’em to play around with the presets and other features.

For the full-fledged volume replacement panel at the heart of this conversation, meanwhile:

• Tap the Settings tab at the bottom of the Precise Volume interface.

• Tap “Volume Button Override.”

• Flip the toggle next to “Enabled,” then follow the prompts to upgrade to the app’s Pro version.

• Once that’s done, tap that toggle again, then follow the prompt to allow Precise Volume the ability to display itself over other apps. That’s needed for reasons that should be obvious, and there’s no harm in allowing it.

• Once that’s done, tap that toggle one more time — and this time, follow the prompt to enable the app as an Android accessibility service. That may sound scary, but it’s genuinely required for an app to be able to process your physical button presses in this way and effectively replace a part of the system interface. And Precise Volume is extremely up front about the exact reasons for all of its permission requirements and the fact that it doesn’t collect, store, or share any form of personal data.

• After you select the app’s name, be sure to flip the topmost toggle to turn its accessibility service on — not the lower toggle
      to activate it as an accessibility shortcut.

• And note that on a Samsung phone, this part of the process is unnecessarily convoluted. After selecting the option to
      enable the accessibility service, you’ll have to tap “Installed apps” and then find Precise Volume 2.0 in the list before you’ll
      see the relevant option.

And that’s it! Just head back to your home screen and then press your phone’s physical volume-up or volume-down key, and you should see the new Precise Volume panel appear in place of the standard volume pop-up. You can then get to the expanded bottom-of-screen interface by tapping the three dot icon within the regular side-of-screen panel.

THE PRECISE VOLUME PANEL IN ACTION — FROM ZERO TO 100. Credit: JR RAPHAEL, IDG

Beyond that, you’ll absolutely want to spend a bit of time in the “Manage Volume Presets” area of Precise Volume’s Settings tab. That’s where you can create those one-tap presets we talked about a minute ago.

PRECISE VOLUME’S PRESETS MAKE IT POSSIBLE TO CREATE COMPLETE AUDIO SETTINGS FOR ANY
SPECIFIC SCENARIO.
JR RAPHAEL, IDG

The “Automation” area of that same tab is where you can configure simple automations for what happens when specific apps are opened, specific devices are connected, or specific days and times occur — if, say, you want your media volume to bump up and your notification volume to go all the way down whenever you open Google Meet or maybe your notification and ring volume to bump up during the workday but then drop back down in the evenings.

PRECISE VOLUME’S AUTOMATIONS OPEN THE DOOR TO ALL SORTS OF STEP-SAVING SMARTNESS.

The “Behavior” section within that same tab is where you can control the precise nuance level of your volume slider, if you want to make the control even finer than the default zero to 100 scale.

MAKE YOUR VOLUME CONTROL AS NUANCED AS YOU WANT WITH PRECISE VOLUME’S “STEPS” SETTING.

And the Equalizer tab at the bottom of the Precise Volume app is the place where — well, y’know. All that equalizer stuff, including the volume booster, resides.

IT MAY SOUND TECHNICAL, BUT PRECISE VOLUME’S EQUALIZER AREA IS FULL OF SIMPLE,
EFFECTIVE ENHANCEMENTS. Credit: JR RAPHAEL, IDG

And there ya have it: an awesome Android audio upgrade. The power is now at your fingertips, and a smarter, more efficient, and more powerful way of interacting with audio on your phone will always be present and waiting to be called into action.

source
And steal your data — how to stay safe

New malware also uses compromised WordPress sites to hide its messages with hackers

(Image credit: Shutterstock)

With so much sensitive personal and financial information on our phones these days, the last thing you’d want is for hackers to find a way to add a backdoor to your Android device. Well, a new Android malware strain does just that, and it lets hackers syphon off all sorts of valuable data.

As reported by BleepingComptuer, a new Android backdoor malware named “Wpeeper” is currently making the rounds online. So far, it has been discovered on two unofficial app stores where it disguises itself as the Uptodown App Store which as you may have guessed, is another third-party app store for the best Android phones.

According to a blog post from security researchers at Tencent’s XLab, the Wpeeper malware has already managed to infect thousands of devices. At this time though, little is known about the actual scale of the operation as well as what exactly the hackers behind this malware are using all of the data it collects for.

Due to its extensive set of advanced features, Wpeeper is certainly a new Android malware to keep an eye on. Here’s everything you need to know about this new mobile threat along with some tips and tricks on how you can stay safe from malicious apps containing malware.

A backdoor to your digital life

It’s very rare that one comes across a brand new malware strain but Wpeeper appears to be just that after XLab’s researchers analyzed inside a malicious app’s APK file only to discover that it had zero detections on VirusTotal.

Another thing that sets this malware apart from other strains is that it uses compromised WordPress sites to further hide communication between infected devices and the command and control (C2) server operated by the hackers who created it. This may sound overly complicated, but it makes it harder for law enforcement to shut down the operation. Plus, disrupting the way in which data is exchanged between a single infected Android phone and the C2 server is also more difficult.

Once the Wpeeper malware makes its way onto an Android phone — most likely through a sideloaded malicious app – it can then retrieve information about the infected device, gather a list of all apps installed on it, download arbitrary files, retrieve info about specific files and directories on the device, download files and execute them, update the malware and even delete it outright to leave no trace it was ever there.

We’ll likely find more about the malware itself and what the hackers behind it are trying to achieve once more security researchers start looking into things. Until then though, there are still some steps you can take to avoid a Wpeeper infection.

How to stay safe from Android malware

(Image credit: Google)

In order to avoid coming down with a nasty malware infection on your Android phone, the first and simplest thing you can do is to avoid sideloading apps altogether. Sure, it may be convenient and some apps actually need to be sideloaded to work at all, but the majority of people will be able to find exactly what they’re looking for on first-party app stores like the Google Play Store, Samsung Galaxy Store or the Amazon Appstore.

The reason you don’t want to sideload apps is that they don’t go through the same rigorous security checks that apps hosted on official stores do. As a result, malware embedded in these apps could easily slip through the cracks.

From here, you’re going to want to make sure that you have Google Play Protect enabled on your Android smartphone. It comes pre-installed on most phones with the Play Store and it’s really useful for fighting off malware thanks to its ability to scan all of your existing apps and any new ones you download for viruses. Likewise, you can also install one of the best Android antivirus apps for additional protection and extra features to help keep you safer online.

As long as people keep sideloading apps and using third-party app stores, hackers will likely continue using both app installation methods as a means to spread dangerous malware. This is why it’s up to you to carefully scrutinize and check every app you install on your smartphone. It may be tedious to do so but this sure beats coming down with a nasty malware infection or letting hackers install a backdoor on your phone.

source
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10